Re: [new_distillers] used coffee grounds?

  • virgil hoskins
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 26, 2012
      Thts a vary good new question blackhat,
      does coffiee grounds have the same effect as a carbon filter?at
      well i`d say that first i would rinse and bake it to kill the mold/mildew
      before any experimenting and then do a few test tube tests before going to any bulk
      experiments.
      lets see,, would grounds be close to carbon when heated to a chared state and would it have
      a chared coffiee after taste ?
      I dont know other members taste but a nice shot of 80 proof coffiee flavor in my saterday coffiee
      sounds great to me,,
      get the test tubes out and see what you come up with.
      Virgil

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 26, 2012
        reading various forums I see lots of folks mentioning their 1,500 w single and double element heat sources, others using propane burners.

        why not use the stove top?   this woud be for a 10 gallon pot still (not totally firm on that) and I figure I have this big oval NG burner on the stove, and a sink with running water a couple feet away, just the right space between.

        I know many of you are using reflux with a pipe standing 2, 3 or even 4 foot tall,  might be a problem, but what I'm considering would be maybe 2 foot high?

        I suppose burning the kitchen down is worse than burning the tool shed, but sitting out in the cold and damp PNW is a problem for hours and hours.
      • Jeff Kimble
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
          I"ve been running on the stove for a year

          A couple of things to point out:

          1:  most of the 'don't use the stove' issues are around electric stoves, which will create an on/off cycle that makes it hard to dial in the right temp for your column

          2:  I think it was Zymurgy Bob's book that pointed out the obvious.  you will take up the kitchen sink and faucet for a good 4 to 6 hours.  Not good home ettiquete and part of the reason I am moving my operation outside and to the garage ( girlfriend moved in )

          3:  There is an issue with ventilation and the fact that you don't want flames anywhere near your alcohol vapor.

          Taking all that into consideration, some folks manage just fine in the kitchen.

        • jsducote
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
            Thanks Max. In my line of work, "out of the box" is a big compliment, so I'll definitely take it as such. I'm also an inveterate pre-planner which admittedly occasionally gets in the way of actually starting the project. I suppose I need to get some practical experience doing things the tried and true ways before trying to improve upon them. I'll endeavor to keep the group up to date with my progress.
            -j

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Max Norton <nortonshog@...> wrote:

            > I love your out of the box thinking.
          • jsducote
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
              Disclaimer: I have no equipment of my own or practical experience, merely what I've read so far...

              There are plenty of kits on the market that you can find by googling 'stovetop still' so it is a realistic possibility.

              It isn't the really about the capacity of the boiler but the height and diameter of the column that determines whether your kitchen stove is a viable heat source. You can see the calculations at homedistiller.org showing that if you want to drive a bigger column (for faster runs with higher purity) you need more heat.

              If I'm reading the reflux calculator correctly, a 10 Gal run at 1500W through a 20-inch high, 2-inch diam column [dimensions of Mile High's ready-made, basic towers] will take roughly 8 hours to collect all the hearts. It looks to me like it'll take another 7 hours or so to collect all the tails. So consider how long you don't mind (read: significant other doesn't mind) tying up your stovetop and kitchen sink for a run. Yes, there's a great source of water there, but you'll be dumping a LOT down the drain unless you're recirculating it.

              That said, stovetop is the route I am currently pursuing, including recirculating the water from my stopped-up sink 3 feet away from my stove.

              Can anyone contradict or correct the above?
              -j