RE: [new_distillers] Wheat mash help

  • Brendan Keith
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2012
      Message
      The 51% corn requirement is a legal requirement, to be a called a bourbon or corn whiskey.

      Diastatic power is a different matter.  Someone else can provide the exact numbers, but I recall that a high diastatic malt will convert up to 6(?) times its own weight of unmalted grain.  Using a lower ratio like 4:1 is safer, and of course he should follow proper mashing techniques with respect to grinding, pH, mineral content, strike temperature, mash time, protein rest, etc.

      --

      Brendan Keith

      bkeith@...