Re: [new_distillers] Re: cough medicines in wash

  • John Brase
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2012
      I don't make whiskey/bourbon spirits but I do make fruit/juice based brandies. I age them in 10 liter barrels at 65% and add about a tbsp of maple syrup to the ten liter batch. It is not so much that you can actually taste it but it does add a touch of something that smoothes and enhances the flavor without actually sweetening it. lots of people also add a small handfull of raisins if aging in glass. I will often transfer my brandy from the barrel to glass after a time, so it doesn't over oak, and at that point I'll throw some raisins to the jar. And they are really good to eat when the jar is drained.

      On 7/31/2012 2:28 PM, M L wrote:

      Yea, I know a guy that made some caramelized sugar and put that along with a couple of drops of vanilla  in his whiskey, It gave it a very attractive color and flavor. It was smoooooth. The directions are on the Home Distilation web site,in the smoothing and aging section. A lot of advice is available, , you just have to experiment and see what you like. ML