Re: I would like a Recipe....

  • thepatchworkdoll
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2012
      HI there
      Recipe copied over fromDistillers Group.
      HI Frank
      Thanks for that. Sorry but I do not like using turbos. Vodka Star £2.88
      Allinsons Bread Yeast 64P per 125 grams works realy well. Found a realy good
      neutral recipe.
      10kgs sugar
      1 kg Malted Barley
      2 Tspns Epsom Salts
      125 grams bread yeast
      50 ltrs water.
      SG approx 1080
      FG approx 0.990
      Fermented out steadily in 7 days (realy impressed)
      Still to run though. Will keep you all posted.
      Regards
      Patch
      Any comments realy appreciated.
      Regards
      Patch

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kpregira <kpregira@...> wrote:

      > 1/4 Birdwatcher's Wash
      >
      > 2 oz. Baker's Yeast
      >
      > 6 oz. Tomato Paste
      >
      > 1 Lemon
      >
      > 10 lbs. Sugar
      >
      > 4 Gallons Distilled Water
      >
      > 1 - can cream corn (strained for the liquid)
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Jul 17, 2012, at 11:25 PM, "knstrt" <knstrt@...> wrote:
      >
      > > What size fermentation container are you using? I need a break down of amounts of ingredients for BWSW, for a 2 gal, or 5 gal container.
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Regira <kpregira@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I use Birdwatchers recipe. It's on this forum. Also the MOST important thing.....NO TURBO (crap tasting) yeast. I use Red Star bakers yeast.
      > > >
      > > > This ought to get you started.
      > > >
      > > > Sent from my iPad

    • made_it_myself
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
        I think the OP is actually asking for a Beer recipe.

        Just one thing, as far as the use of Bread yeast is concerned, it does make an acceptable substitute, but should not be your first choice.
        You would be far better served using a yeast selected for the type of product you are making.
        I think a lot of stuff written about Bread yeast is from the era when other yeasts were not available, or when buying wine/beer yeast might attract unwelcome attention from the authorities! And this advice has just been copied over the years. Things have moved on a bit, and now we have better choices.
        Even Turbo yeasts have their place if you want a neutral spirit and they are not that expensive when you work it out.

        Vodka Star £2.88 (only going on a previous post)

        Bread yeast 64p
        1Kg malted Barley £2.00 (about)
        Total £2.64

        So not a lot in it, plus reduced energy cost when distilling of course.
      • RonaldP
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
          Sorry people, I belong to a Brewers group and also to this group.
          I put this on the wrong site.
          RonaldP

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "RonaldP" <mrdoyleprice@...> wrote:

          > I would like a simple recipe for an all
          > Grain Brew thats 6 or 7% ABV. Some I
          > have tryed areto sweet or taste terrible.
          > I'm new to Brewing and have done a lot of
          > reading but have been around very little
          > practical experiance. All help is appreciated.

        • thepatchworkdoll
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 22, 2012
            Hi MIM
            I get malted barley for £18 - 25kgs so its a bit cheaper than you think.
            http://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk/
            Regards
            Patch

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22, 2012
              Thanks for that link, you are lucky to have such a good shop near you, my local HBS is 99p for 500g.
              I can get unmalted Barley from a local farm a lot cheaper, but my wife moans if I buy too much!
              I don't use Turbo yeast myself, but I don't think we should dismiss it, one of my workmates uses it a lot, he ferments it out and adds a bottle of Ribena! Thats it!
              My point about Bread yeast is that we have moved on, use it if you want, but modern yeasts clear better, form a more stable sediment and produce a better tasting product. Bread yeast needs to produce CO2 not Alcohol and has been selected for that property.

              Best wishes.
              Lawrence.