Re: [new_distillers] Galvanized Steel or Iron.

  • Roger Ferguson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2001
      Warning to all out there contemplating using galvanized materials in the
      construction of a stil..... STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!!! Can cause Antimony
      Poisoning. (This may be why you no longer find drink coolers made with the
      stuff!)

      Roger
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2001
        if you decide to use a galvanised boiler for your still and decide to drink
        the stuff , make sure that you have a prepaid funeral plan so your passing
        away will not be a burden on the remaining family members.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2001
          I question whether this would be a problem after all. (I'm not
          saying USE galvanized metal in a boiler, but I do question whether it
          truly would be a problem). (DISCLAIMER) By no means do I recommend
          the use of toxic metals in the construction of a boiler, and the
          argument I present here is hypothetical and for discussion in theory
          only!

          Unless I'm mistaken, it's Zinc which is used in galvanizing metal.
          Trace amounts of zinc are present in certain yeast nutrients which
          are routinely used in making beer and wine. Even the lead free
          solder used in the construction of most copper stills contains zinc.
          People routinely ingest zinc when taking certain vitimins. I am,
          however, quite sure that zinc, like most metals, would be poisonous
          in high enough concentrations. In fact, I've heard stories of
          batches of ahcoholic punch being mixed up in galvanized tubs with
          acidic fruit juices and resulting in poisoning to the people who
          consumed the punch.

          Regardless, metal salts may leach into hot or acidic liquid, but they
          are insoluable in steam. If the zinc plating were to leach from the
          boiler to the liquid, once the liquid was converted to steam in the
          process of distillation, the metal salts would be left behind.
          Theoretically, lead, cadmium, or chunks of any other non-radioactive
          toxic metal could be tossed into the boiler itself without danger.
          Distillation is used to purify water precisely BECAUSE of this
          characteristic. The only way I could forsee dissolved zinc salts
          getting into the distillate from the boiler itself would be if a too
          violent boil caused surging and liquid from the boiler burped into
          the condenser.

          A far greater danger would be hazardous metals used in the
          condensation portion of the still where warm distillate could
          dissolve metal salts that would remain in the liquid to be consumed.
          The lead poisoning so frequently mentioned as a hazard of moonshine
          consumption was caused by warm liquid distillate dissolving lead
          salts from lead soldered auto radiator condensers and the like.

          In THEORY, a zinc plated (galvanized) boiler should be safe to use. I
          don't think I would want to use one in reality though!

          Dissenting opinions welcomed! I enjoy this kind of discussion!

          Tar

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2001
            when welded or brazed galvinized metal can  put off poisionus gasses.
            therefore i would say  NO!. to answer your question