fruit mash

  • Adrian Hoffman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2012

      Hi All!

      I’m working on my first batch of plum mash.  It seems to be going along just great and has a wonderful plum beer smell to it after about 10 days fermenting.  I’ve followed Tater’s fruit mash recipe and it seems to be working well.  At the stage it’s at now, the cap has fallen and it has a slightly bitter taste, usually implying the fermentation is done.  My question is – the liquid is still orange colored and not as transparent as when my other grain mashes have cleared – will it get clear enough that it won’t burn in the still?  Should I just let it sit?

      Thanks in advance gents!

    • Max Norton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2012
        Yes, Just let it settle a bit, then rack it. Let it settle again then rack it again. It should be okay then. If you want it clearer than that, you can always put a clearing agent on it.