Re: cornflake recipes

  • Al Wells
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 11 8:23 AM
      I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
      website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
      try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
      that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?
    • made_it_myself
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 11 11:38 AM
        The one I was looking for (probably) did not have molasses in it, I would have passed it over since I can't find a supplier for it. (Anyone in the UK know where I can get it? and no I don't mean the Health food shops at £3 a pound!)

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Al Wells <fossildiver@...> wrote:

        > I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
        > website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
        > try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
        > that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?

      • Robbie Mabry
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 11 1:09 PM
          This is the one I made and it turned out very good.
          www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html

          Robbie

          On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM, made_it_myself <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

          The one I was looking for (probably) did not have molasses in it, I would have passed it over since I can't find a supplier for it. (Anyone in the UK know where I can get it? and no I don't mean the Health food shops at £3 a pound!)

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Al Wells <fossildiver@...> wrote:

          > I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
          > website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
          > try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
          > that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?

        • dave28622000
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 11 6:21 PM
            I'm sure Ive seen some thing on a cornflake mash, but I'm thinking it was on Artisan distillers in the recipes section. . You could also check ondistillers@yahoogroups In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

            > Yes, I did that too, but I was looking for one that had been tried and tested here.
            > At least I thought it was here...
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mel <wasagamel@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just Googled (cornflakes recipe mash) and got several hits.
            > >
            > > Mel
            > >
            > > On 05/07/2012 12:34 PM, made_it_myself wrote:
            > > > I am sure I saw a mash recipe using cornflakes on here.
            > > > Providing I am not just having a senior moment, please can you point me in the right direction.

            > > --
            > > http://shiptraffic.ca/

          • billcoyote
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 11 7:14 PM

              __,_An easy to make "corn whiskey"

              Ingredients:

                • 16 ltr water,
                • 4kg white sugar
                • 700g corn flakes
                • 20g distillers yeast
                • 1 lemon

              Fermentating method:

                • Bring 5 litres of water to boil
                • Add sugar and stir to dissolve
                • Squeeze lemon juice over sugar water
                • "Liquidise" the corn flakes in a food blender until fine
                • Add the corn flakes to the sugar water and stir
                • Add 11 litres COLD water
                • Sprinkle 20g distillers yeast on top of mash
                • Wait 10-15 minutes
                • Gently stir yeast into mash to disperse throughout mash
                • Leave fermenting bucket open to air to ferment for first day
                • Close lid of fermenting bucket (with CO2 escape) and ferment until SG is less than 1.000
                • Rack to remove sediment
                • Strain to remove any solids left.

              Reflux distilling method:

                • Bring to boil
                • Adjust heat input to a SLOW boil (the slower the better)
                • Adjust the reflux control valve to maintain a 75% alcohol level. (Using a distilling parrot helps a lot)
                • Stop when the reflux output cannot be maintained at 75% alcohol anymore.

              Enhancement and aging

                • Bottle in glass bottles and add french oak chips (preferably which was previously used for port or sherry aging)
                • Let stand for 2 months or until desired colour and taste has developed.
                • Enjoy your corn flake "whiskey"!

              ._,___

            • thepatchworkdoll
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 12 11:07 AM
                Hi MIM
                Try ebay there are a few places on that site that supply molasses.
                Regards
                Thepatchworkdoll

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

                > The one I was looking for (probably) did not have molasses in it, I would have passed it over since I can't find a supplier for it. (Anyone in the UK know where I can get it? and no I don't mean the Health food shops at £3 a pound!)
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Al Wells <fossildiver@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
                > > website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
                > > try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
                > > that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?

              • M L
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 12 12:29 PM
                  Yuuup. I found you a recipe.go to www.artisan-distiller.org  ,click on the link that says " if you saw a show about moonshiners". Then click on Recipe # 2 Modern Moonshine recipe. It  also has the full procedure all spelled out for you. ML

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 12 1:18 PM
                    Thanks guys, You really came through.
                    I really thought it was on here, but you have given me something to work on.

                    I have been on the artisan site, but previously only went to the forum
                    so now having seen that bit I will have to explore it more.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 14 8:44 AM
                      Yes, that recipe was already posted here.
                      Nice to see a new site up though.
                      The anti-bot questions are a bit tough! like what is the africaans for traditional home distillation?
                      Give me a break! what is wrong with add 3 and 7?

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robbie Mabry <robbie46@...> wrote:

                      > This is the one I made and it turned out very good.
                      > www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html
                      >
                      > Robbie
                    • Len
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 14 9:46 AM
                        Now that the search is over, I hope we get a full report on how it comes out.

                        --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, Robbie Mabry <robbie46@...> wrote:

                        > This is the one I made and it turned out very good.
                        > www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html
                        >
                        > Robbie

                      • made_it_myself
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 15 4:42 AM
                          Sure thing.
                          I have got a day off coming up soon, and I already have most of what I need.
                          Again thanks for all your help.

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Len <seadragon79@...> wrote:

                          > Now that the search is over, I hope we get a full report on how it comes out.
                        • Fossil Diver
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 15 7:41 AM
                            On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                            Yuuup. I found you a recipe.go to www.artisan-distiller.org  ,click on the link that says " if you saw a show about moonshiners". Then click on Recipe # 2 Modern Moonshine recipe. It  also has the full procedure all spelled out for you. ML

                            Thanks, that is the one I was looking for. I too will post a report soon.
                          • M L
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 15 12:37 PM
                              I'll bet it turns out GRRRRRRREAT ! ML