Re: cornflake recipes

  • made_it_myself
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 10 10:25 AM
      Yes, I did that too, but I was looking for one that had been tried and tested here.
      At least I thought it was here...

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mel <wasagamel@...> wrote:

      > I just Googled (cornflakes recipe mash) and got several hits.
      >
      > Mel
      >
      > On 05/07/2012 12:34 PM, made_it_myself wrote:
      > > I am sure I saw a mash recipe using cornflakes on here.
      > > Providing I am not just having a senior moment, please can you point me in the right direction.

      > --
      > http://shiptraffic.ca/

    • Al Wells
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 11 8:23 AM
        I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
        website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
        try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
        that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?
      • made_it_myself
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 11 11:38 AM
          The one I was looking for (probably) did not have molasses in it, I would have passed it over since I can't find a supplier for it. (Anyone in the UK know where I can get it? and no I don't mean the Health food shops at £3 a pound!)

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Al Wells <fossildiver@...> wrote:

          > I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
          > website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
          > try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
          > that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?

        • Robbie Mabry
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 11 1:09 PM
            This is the one I made and it turned out very good.
            www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html

            Robbie

            On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM, made_it_myself <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

            The one I was looking for (probably) did not have molasses in it, I would have passed it over since I can't find a supplier for it. (Anyone in the UK know where I can get it? and no I don't mean the Health food shops at £3 a pound!)

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Al Wells <fossildiver@...> wrote:

            > I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
            > website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
            > try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
            > that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?

          • dave28622000
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 11 6:21 PM
              I'm sure Ive seen some thing on a cornflake mash, but I'm thinking it was on Artisan distillers in the recipes section. . You could also check ondistillers@yahoogroups In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

              > Yes, I did that too, but I was looking for one that had been tried and tested here.
              > At least I thought it was here...
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mel <wasagamel@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just Googled (cornflakes recipe mash) and got several hits.
              > >
              > > Mel
              > >
              > > On 05/07/2012 12:34 PM, made_it_myself wrote:
              > > > I am sure I saw a mash recipe using cornflakes on here.
              > > > Providing I am not just having a senior moment, please can you point me in the right direction.

              > > --
              > > http://shiptraffic.ca/

            • billcoyote
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 11 7:14 PM

                __,_An easy to make "corn whiskey"

                Ingredients:

                  • 16 ltr water,
                  • 4kg white sugar
                  • 700g corn flakes
                  • 20g distillers yeast
                  • 1 lemon

                Fermentating method:

                  • Bring 5 litres of water to boil
                  • Add sugar and stir to dissolve
                  • Squeeze lemon juice over sugar water
                  • "Liquidise" the corn flakes in a food blender until fine
                  • Add the corn flakes to the sugar water and stir
                  • Add 11 litres COLD water
                  • Sprinkle 20g distillers yeast on top of mash
                  • Wait 10-15 minutes
                  • Gently stir yeast into mash to disperse throughout mash
                  • Leave fermenting bucket open to air to ferment for first day
                  • Close lid of fermenting bucket (with CO2 escape) and ferment until SG is less than 1.000
                  • Rack to remove sediment
                  • Strain to remove any solids left.

                Reflux distilling method:

                  • Bring to boil
                  • Adjust heat input to a SLOW boil (the slower the better)
                  • Adjust the reflux control valve to maintain a 75% alcohol level. (Using a distilling parrot helps a lot)
                  • Stop when the reflux output cannot be maintained at 75% alcohol anymore.

                Enhancement and aging

                  • Bottle in glass bottles and add french oak chips (preferably which was previously used for port or sherry aging)
                  • Let stand for 2 months or until desired colour and taste has developed.
                  • Enjoy your corn flake "whiskey"!

                ._,___

              • thepatchworkdoll
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 12 11:07 AM
                  Hi MIM
                  Try ebay there are a few places on that site that supply molasses.
                  Regards
                  Thepatchworkdoll

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

                  > The one I was looking for (probably) did not have molasses in it, I would have passed it over since I can't find a supplier for it. (Anyone in the UK know where I can get it? and no I don't mean the Health food shops at £3 a pound!)
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Al Wells <fossildiver@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
                  > > website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
                  > > try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
                  > > that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?

                • M L
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 12 12:29 PM
                    Yuuup. I found you a recipe.go to www.artisan-distiller.org  ,click on the link that says " if you saw a show about moonshiners". Then click on Recipe # 2 Modern Moonshine recipe. It  also has the full procedure all spelled out for you. ML

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 12 1:18 PM
                      Thanks guys, You really came through.
                      I really thought it was on here, but you have given me something to work on.

                      I have been on the artisan site, but previously only went to the forum
                      so now having seen that bit I will have to explore it more.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 14 8:44 AM
                        Yes, that recipe was already posted here.
                        Nice to see a new site up though.
                        The anti-bot questions are a bit tough! like what is the africaans for traditional home distillation?
                        Give me a break! what is wrong with add 3 and 7?

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robbie Mabry <robbie46@...> wrote:

                        > This is the one I made and it turned out very good.
                        > www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html
                        >
                        > Robbie
                      • Len
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 14 9:46 AM
                          Now that the search is over, I hope we get a full report on how it comes out.

                          --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, Robbie Mabry <robbie46@...> wrote:

                          > This is the one I made and it turned out very good.
                          > www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html
                          >
                          > Robbie

                        • made_it_myself
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 15 4:42 AM
                            Sure thing.
                            I have got a day off coming up soon, and I already have most of what I need.
                            Again thanks for all your help.

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Len <seadragon79@...> wrote:

                            > Now that the search is over, I hope we get a full report on how it comes out.
                          • Fossil Diver
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 15 7:41 AM
                              On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                              Yuuup. I found you a recipe.go to www.artisan-distiller.org  ,click on the link that says " if you saw a show about moonshiners". Then click on Recipe # 2 Modern Moonshine recipe. It  also has the full procedure all spelled out for you. ML

                              Thanks, that is the one I was looking for. I too will post a report soon.
                            • M L
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 15 12:37 PM
                                I'll bet it turns out GRRRRRRREAT ! ML