Re: [new_distillers] cornflake recipes

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 5, 2012
      I just Googled (cornflakes recipe mash) and got several hits.

      Mel

      On 05/07/2012 12:34 PM, made_it_myself wrote:
      > I am sure I saw a mash recipe using cornflakes on here.
      > Providing I am not just having a senior moment, please can you point me in the right direction.

      http://shiptraffic.ca/
    • made_it_myself
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 10, 2012
        Yes, I did that too, but I was looking for one that had been tried and tested here.
        At least I thought it was here...

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mel <wasagamel@...> wrote:

        > I just Googled (cornflakes recipe mash) and got several hits.
        >
        > Mel
        >
        > On 05/07/2012 12:34 PM, made_it_myself wrote:
        > > I am sure I saw a mash recipe using cornflakes on here.
        > > Providing I am not just having a senior moment, please can you point me in the right direction.

        > --
        > http://shiptraffic.ca/

      • Al Wells
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 11, 2012
          I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
          website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
          try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
          that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?
        • made_it_myself
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 11, 2012
            The one I was looking for (probably) did not have molasses in it, I would have passed it over since I can't find a supplier for it. (Anyone in the UK know where I can get it? and no I don't mean the Health food shops at £3 a pound!)

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Al Wells <fossildiver@...> wrote:

            > I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
            > website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
            > try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
            > that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?

          • Robbie Mabry
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 11, 2012
              This is the one I made and it turned out very good.
              www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html

              Robbie

              On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM, made_it_myself <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

              The one I was looking for (probably) did not have molasses in it, I would have passed it over since I can't find a supplier for it. (Anyone in the UK know where I can get it? and no I don't mean the Health food shops at £3 a pound!)

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Al Wells <fossildiver@...> wrote:

              > I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
              > website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
              > try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
              > that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?

            • dave28622000
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 11, 2012
                I'm sure Ive seen some thing on a cornflake mash, but I'm thinking it was on Artisan distillers in the recipes section. . You could also check ondistillers@yahoogroups In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

                > Yes, I did that too, but I was looking for one that had been tried and tested here.
                > At least I thought it was here...
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mel <wasagamel@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just Googled (cornflakes recipe mash) and got several hits.
                > >
                > > Mel
                > >
                > > On 05/07/2012 12:34 PM, made_it_myself wrote:
                > > > I am sure I saw a mash recipe using cornflakes on here.
                > > > Providing I am not just having a senior moment, please can you point me in the right direction.

                > > --
                > > http://shiptraffic.ca/

              • billcoyote
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 11, 2012

                  __,_An easy to make "corn whiskey"

                  Ingredients:

                    • 16 ltr water,
                    • 4kg white sugar
                    • 700g corn flakes
                    • 20g distillers yeast
                    • 1 lemon

                  Fermentating method:

                    • Bring 5 litres of water to boil
                    • Add sugar and stir to dissolve
                    • Squeeze lemon juice over sugar water
                    • "Liquidise" the corn flakes in a food blender until fine
                    • Add the corn flakes to the sugar water and stir
                    • Add 11 litres COLD water
                    • Sprinkle 20g distillers yeast on top of mash
                    • Wait 10-15 minutes
                    • Gently stir yeast into mash to disperse throughout mash
                    • Leave fermenting bucket open to air to ferment for first day
                    • Close lid of fermenting bucket (with CO2 escape) and ferment until SG is less than 1.000
                    • Rack to remove sediment
                    • Strain to remove any solids left.

                  Reflux distilling method:

                    • Bring to boil
                    • Adjust heat input to a SLOW boil (the slower the better)
                    • Adjust the reflux control valve to maintain a 75% alcohol level. (Using a distilling parrot helps a lot)
                    • Stop when the reflux output cannot be maintained at 75% alcohol anymore.

                  Enhancement and aging

                    • Bottle in glass bottles and add french oak chips (preferably which was previously used for port or sherry aging)
                    • Let stand for 2 months or until desired colour and taste has developed.
                    • Enjoy your corn flake "whiskey"!

                  ._,___

                • thepatchworkdoll
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 12, 2012
                    Hi MIM
                    Try ebay there are a few places on that site that supply molasses.
                    Regards
                    Thepatchworkdoll

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

                    > The one I was looking for (probably) did not have molasses in it, I would have passed it over since I can't find a supplier for it. (Anyone in the UK know where I can get it? and no I don't mean the Health food shops at £3 a pound!)
                    >

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Al Wells <fossildiver@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I too have been trying to find that recipe. I think it was on a
                    > > website somewhere, and it was offered as the first thing you should
                    > > try to get the initial excitement out of your system. I also remember
                    > > that it has molasses in it. Does this jar anyone's memory?

                  • M L
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 12, 2012
                      Yuuup. I found you a recipe.go to www.artisan-distiller.org  ,click on the link that says " if you saw a show about moonshiners". Then click on Recipe # 2 Modern Moonshine recipe. It  also has the full procedure all spelled out for you. ML

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 12, 2012
                        Thanks guys, You really came through.
                        I really thought it was on here, but you have given me something to work on.

                        I have been on the artisan site, but previously only went to the forum
                        so now having seen that bit I will have to explore it more.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 14, 2012
                          Yes, that recipe was already posted here.
                          Nice to see a new site up though.
                          The anti-bot questions are a bit tough! like what is the africaans for traditional home distillation?
                          Give me a break! what is wrong with add 3 and 7?

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robbie Mabry <robbie46@...> wrote:

                          > This is the one I made and it turned out very good.
                          > www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html
                          >
                          > Robbie
                        • Len
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 14, 2012
                            Now that the search is over, I hope we get a full report on how it comes out.

                            --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, Robbie Mabry <robbie46@...> wrote:

                            > This is the one I made and it turned out very good.
                            > www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html
                            >
                            > Robbie

                          • made_it_myself
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 15, 2012
                              Sure thing.
                              I have got a day off coming up soon, and I already have most of what I need.
                              Again thanks for all your help.

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Len <seadragon79@...> wrote:

                              > Now that the search is over, I hope we get a full report on how it comes out.
                            • Fossil Diver
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 15, 2012
                                On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                                Yuuup. I found you a recipe.go to www.artisan-distiller.org  ,click on the link that says " if you saw a show about moonshiners". Then click on Recipe # 2 Modern Moonshine recipe. It  also has the full procedure all spelled out for you. ML

                                Thanks, that is the one I was looking for. I too will post a report soon.
                              • M L
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 15, 2012
                                  I'll bet it turns out GRRRRRRREAT ! ML