HFCS fermentation

  • Stephane Grand
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
      Distillers,
      I have started fermenting High Fructose Corn Syrup and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations regarding the process.
      My first batch (20L HFCS, 80L water, one cup yeast nutrients and 2 spoonfulls of yeast) went putrid quite quickly and stunk up the still, as I did not realize it before the distillation had started.
      My second batch, containing the same ingredients plus 2 pouches of white vinegar and some tomato paste (2 cans), did better, but I was not impressed by the yield.
      Many thanks for your comments,
      SJ
    • Ed Barcik
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2012

        I’ve been using it for 3+ years without any issues, I usually start at about 1.130 and it ferments out very well, the only one I ever had stick went to 1.010 so not too bad.

        What kind of yeast are you using? What is your OG? I use turbo yeast in mine. Your batch is about the same as mine 100 liters but I’m using about 30 liters of HFCS.

        It’s the best and easiest way to distill that I’ve found, makes really clean vodka.

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2012
          HFCS has had some of the dextrose converted to fructose to make it resemble sucrose (sugar) as it is intended for the soft drink market.
          Pure corn syrup would be dextrose and would give a better neutral alcohol.
          wal