Re: Mandarins - anyone made a brew?

  • MoSS
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2012
      After due consideration, I quartered them and started to ferment them on pulp/pith and skin, will keep an eye on it for a week or 2 and follow it's progress. I haven't added sugar at this point.
      My thoughts leaned toward it as a good red always spend time with the skin, so hopefully some of the essential oils will carry over as well.
      Damn things are so cheap now @$1.79/kg I wonder why I planted it in the first place.

      > I noticed there is an Italian orange aquavita, I guess from juiced unsaleable oranges.
      > Look up tangerine wine - the tangerines/mandarins are just chopped up and fermented on the pulp.
      > wal
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've never done a citrus wine, but I don't see how adding sugar is going
      > > to change the pH in any easily predictable way or direction. Sugar
      > > content and active acidity are pretty much independent of each other.
      > >
      > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
      > > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <mike@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm gazing out at my Mandarin Tree which is crop heavy, there is no
      > > way we could eat our way through the crop, so the natural thing to is to
      > > convert it into a brew of some thing and distil it.
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone done similar even with oranges?
      > > >
      > > > I'm guessing that I'll need to top up with sugar to get it to the
      > > desired PH, apart from devising a method of juicing, the thought of
      > > using my feet isn't really appealing in the middle of winter.

    • MoSS
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2012
        Time for an update and notes for anyone who is interested in how the experiment concluded.

        Not being in a hurry, I let the wash brew out in an open top storage vessel. Surprisingly, it brewed faster than expected and with it's own natural yeast that must have carried over from the skins.
        I added 2kg of white sugar to increase the SG.
        The wash remained orange in colour with solids settling to the bottom of the barrel, rendering the tap useless for decanting.

        The wash is the sweetest smelling I have encountered, definitely carried the essential oils into the wash and as I have discovered into the heart as well.

        Using a 5L Pot Still, followed conventional methods and discarded the first 100ml, collected the heart of 700ml (approx.) @55% and 800ml @20%. Then discarded the remainder.
        The aroma is prevalent and stayed with the heart.

        I plan a 2nd run with the 20%, then mix with the heart and adjust to 45%.

        Use of Glucose as a thickening agent is being considered so it more closely resembles a liquor.

        So far a very succesful outcome and am heading to the closest Green Grocer for another 2 kg of Mandarins....at $2.99 a kg I can't go wrong.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <mike@...> wrote:

        > After due consideration, I quartered them and started to ferment them on pulp/pith and skin, will keep an eye on it for a week or 2 and follow it's progress. I haven't added sugar at this point.
        > My thoughts leaned toward it as a good red always spend time with the skin, so hopefully some of the essential oils will carry over as well.
        > Damn things are so cheap now @$1.79/kg I wonder why I planted it in the first place.
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I noticed there is an Italian orange aquavita, I guess from juiced unsaleable oranges.
        > > Look up tangerine wine - the tangerines/mandarins are just chopped up and fermented on the pulp.
        > > wal
        > >
        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've never done a citrus wine, but I don't see how adding sugar is going
        > > > to change the pH in any easily predictable way or direction. Sugar
        > > > content and active acidity are pretty much independent of each other.
        > > >
        > > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
        > > > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>

        > > > way we could eat our way through the crop, so the natural thing to is to
        > > > convert it into a brew of some thing and distil it.

        > > > desired PH, apart from devising a method of juicing, the thought of
        > > > using my feet isn't really appealing in the middle of winter.

      • daryl_bee
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2012
          Congratulations! I'd be interested to know how it is as a distilled spirit au-natural (before glucose addition).
          There is a Curacao I'd like to try but can't get here. It has a rum based and is spiced but apparently not overly sweet. It sounds like you're nearly there
          http://www.slashfood.com/2006/12/16/liqueur-notes-rhum-clement-creole-shrubb-curacao-orange-liqueur/

          Cheers
          Daryl

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <mike@...> wrote:

          > Time for an update and notes for anyone who is interested in how the experiment concluded.
          >
          > Not being in a hurry, I let the wash brew out in an open top storage vessel. Surprisingly, it brewed faster than expected and with it's own natural yeast that must have carried over from the skins.
          > I added 2kg of white sugar to increase the SG.
          > The wash remained orange in colour with solids settling to the bottom of the barrel, rendering the tap useless for decanting.
          >
          > The wash is the sweetest smelling I have encountered, definitely carried the essential oils into the wash and as I have discovered into the heart as well.
          >
          > Using a 5L Pot Still, followed conventional methods and discarded the first 100ml, collected the heart of 700ml (approx.) @55% and 800ml @20%. Then discarded the remainder.
          > The aroma is prevalent and stayed with the heart.
          >
          > I plan a 2nd run with the 20%, then mix with the heart and adjust to 45%.
          >
          > Use of Glucose as a thickening agent is being considered so it more closely resembles a liquor.
          >
          > So far a very succesful outcome and am heading to the closest Green Grocer for another 2 kg of Mandarins....at $2.99 a kg I can't go wrong.
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <mike@> wrote:
          > >
          > > After due consideration, I quartered them and started to ferment them on pulp/pith and skin, will keep an eye on it for a week or 2 and follow it's progress. I haven't added sugar at this point.
          > > My thoughts leaned toward it as a good red always spend time with the skin, so hopefully some of the essential oils will carry over as well.
          > > Damn things are so cheap now @$1.79/kg I wonder why I planted it in the first place.
        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 7, 2012
            Wild yeast?

            See -
            http://tinyurl.com/8etj3x8

            wal

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 7, 2012
              Interesting that the articles infers that bees, hornets, wasps and the like transfer this "wild" yeast.
              I did read many years ago that it was naturally bourne in the environment. No matter, it was present on the Mandarins.

              A further update, after the initial runs, I mixed both parts together, resulting in a cloudy mixture that reminded me of Ouzo & water.
              Then i ran a second distilling run containing 3L of mixed distillate with 1L of remaining wash (the lees so to speak). Not dis-similar to my rum recipe`.
              The resultant run is smooth @70% with high aromatics...just what the doctor ordered.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daryl_bee" <darylbender@...> wrote:

                > Congratulations! I'd be interested to know how it is as a distilled spirit au-natural (before glucose addition).

                Update to the update:

                Since my last update, I ran a second run as I planned, the completed campaign gave me 4L @ 60%.

                I haven't cut it back and only just tasted it after settling it settle for a few days. I'm not sure if it can improve with age unless it's on Oak.
                It's explosive on a sip, wow I never expected it.
                Definite Mandarin aroma, lovely legs on the glass as seen on a Tokay/Muscat.
                Slightly bitter on taste, huge after taste that lingers.
                I had expected sweeter, however that can always be adjusted. It can't be compared to a Curacao` as it's base it Citrus, not a white spirit macerating in spices/peels.
                It's only similarity it that the process I followed was similar to my rum.

                Now the big question is do I cut it back to 45% or leave it as a sipper? Is 60% to strong to sip? I've always been a Rum & mixer drinker.
                I have no experience in this area and would appreciate opinions on this or any other area that I have touched on.

                Of course I could halve the product and experiment with it, why not as I spy my Orange Tree starting to bear new season offerings...
              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 12, 2012
                  Fruit eau-de-vie is commonly at 50%abv to retain the essential oils. But there are plum ones at 60& & 70%.
                  wal