sour mash gone bad

  • keithmcnealy1976
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2012
      hi i am new to the group and have a question
      i made a mash of 70% corn 20% wheat and 10 % malted barley and it came out very good. i then added sugar and brown sugar and 10 gal of water to the left over mash and it fermented very good for 5 days on the morning of the 6th day i noticed a very thin white almost waxy film on the surface of the mash. what is it and do i need to dump the mash and start over. thanks for your help keith
    • Dan Lago
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2012

        It is not unusual to find this film after fermentation.  I have seen in many times and never once has it been infection.  If the brew tastes and smells good then I wouldn’t worry about it.

        >the morning of the 6th day i noticed a very thin white almost waxy film on the surface of the mash. what is it and do i need to dump the mash and start over

      • tim smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 25, 2012
          if you boiled this grain mash, i would bet that what you have floating on top is fat. wheat contains a certain percentage of fat..i get this on mine as well. I just scoop it out with a strainer

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 26, 2012
            ok cool thanks so much it dident affect the taste or smell i just was not sure if it was ok or not i needed to here it from someone with more experiance than me. I dont want to make bad stuff. Thanks alot for the info