New Hardware

  • ANTHONY BLAGROVE
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2012
      Dear All,
      Took delivery today of my 65th birthday present to myself (10 litre alembic). I have been brewing wines and beer for a number of years with few problems and I put this success largely down to ensuring sterility of all the utensils and containers used.
      Question 1: the suppliers recommend a first run, after cleaning, of a mixture of rye flour and water. Other sources after extensive reading recommend 50/50 vinegar and water. Should I do both?
      The diluted vinegar will certainly produce a more acidic run but I will have the rye/water mixture available for sealing the unit prior to commencing operations.
      Question 2: To age Scottish type products, using small sticks of charred white oak in the demi-johns is often recommended. Can I use the dark oak used in old furniture if I strip off all waxes and varnishes to the virgin wood? This is fairly easy to obtain at little cost!
          My wife has pointed out to me most strongly that on no account should I partake of the product when running.(no, she isn't teetotal but not a drinker in any sense of the word! If I open a bottle of parsnip or carrot etc, she only has half a glass and she now knows that the bottle has to be finished within a couple of hours otherwise it goes off!!!!!!!!) How else can I make sure everything is progressing OK? Funny how she seems to enjoy trying wines out when they are in the middle of production!!!!!!!
      Read all the comments from other newbies on this site hoping to avoid any obvious cock-ups, and enjoy them all.
      Looking forward to years of checking the product!
      Tony
    • M L
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
        You want to be careful when using dark oak from furniture, it might be red oak which is not desirable to use in flavoring a beverage. It is said to give an astringent taste. You can test it by cutting a strip with the grain and dip it in a glass of water . Then try to blow air through it . Red oak will bubble, white oak should not . This is not 100 accurate though. Another way is to put a few drops of a sodium nitrite solution on it. If it turns dark it is white oak.If you don't want to buy oak from a home brew supply store you might get some Jack Daniels smoking wood from Wal-Mart or Bass Pro.It's actual chunks of used whiskey barrels.ML

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
          Thanks for the info, ML
          I have located a local timber yard which sells seasoned timber. As long as it hasn't already been treated with preservative, I think this should be OK.
          Cheers
          Villayorkie

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2012
            Yuuup,Viilayorkie  That should be ok.You can toast it in the oven ,  cut it into manageable pieces, wrap it up in foil, and bake at 400 until you reach the desired level. One hour should give you a medium to dark brown. You can also burn some to that alligator skin look, all cracked with open crevasses. Light, medium, dark ,toast and charred all give different characters to your drink.Decide what your after  and drop several into your jug. Then you can speed up the process by moving your hooch in and out of the fridge. The temperature change allows the alcohol to move in and out of the wood .And taste test as you go to see what  changes are taking place. Have fun and good luck .ML

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 17 6:57 PM
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, ANTHONY BLAGROVE <tblagrove@...> wrote:

              > Dear All,
              > Took delivery today of my 65th birthday present to myself (10 litre alembic). I have been brewing wines and beer for a number of years with few problems and I put this success largely down to ensuring sterility of all the utensils and containers used.
              > Question 1: the suppliers recommend a first run, after cleaning, of a mixture of rye flour and water. Other sources after extensive reading recommend 50/50 vinegar and water. Should I do both?
              > The diluted vinegar will certainly produce a more acidic run but I will have the rye/water mixture available for sealing the unit prior to commencing operations.
              > Question 2: To age Scottish type products, using small sticks of charred white oak in the demi-johns is often recommended. Can I use the dark oak used in old furniture if I strip off all waxes and varnishes to the virgin wood? This is fairly easy to obtain at little cost!
              >     My wife has pointed out to me most strongly that on no account should I partake of the product when running.(no, she isn't teetotal but not a drinker in any sense of the word! If I open a bottle of parsnip or carrot etc, she only has half a glass and she now knows that the bottle has to be finished within a couple of hours otherwise it goes off!!!!!!!!) How else can I make sure everything is progressing OK? Funny how she seems to enjoy trying wines out when they are in the middle of production!!!!!!!
              > Read all the comments from other newbies on this site hoping to avoid any obvious cock-ups, and enjoy them all.
              > Looking forward to years of checking the product!
              > Tony

              WHITE OAK IS BEST. TRY LIGHTLY TOASTED FIRST THEN YOU CAN ADJUST TO A DARKER TOAST IF YOU WANT FOR TASTE. DO NOT USE ANY WOOD THAT HAS EVER BEEN FINISHED. JUST BECAUSE YOU SAND THE FINISH OFF DOESNT MEAN THE CHEMICALS ARE NOT STILL PRESENT