Re: [new_distillers] Can mash go bad after fermentation?

  • GGB
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2012
      "...you will have to deal with spoilage organisms that my sour the mash."

      Having done a little reading lately on making vinegar, I can tell you it is really important to exclude oxygen from your mash to stop it going sour.

      A class of bacteria called acetobacter needs oxygen to respire and feeds on ethanol to make acetic acid as a waste product. That is how vinegar has been made for many, many years. Acetobacter are plentiful in the atmosphere and will naturally colonize your mash if open to the atmosphere.

      No oxygen = no sour.

      Paul
    • wilypig@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2012
        Snip

        Except that most mash contain Lacto bacillus which will feed on what ever the yeast won't and does not need O2 to create Lactic acid. refrigeration slows down lacto bacillus. One thing to remember is that no PATHOGENIC organisms can survive the Ph and alcohol environment created by fermentation. process as soon possible for best results.
      • robertjusting
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2012
          This side of the homedistillers.org answers it all. Feel free to check it, there's a lot of stuffs you ought to know.

          Hope this helps!