Run Time

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2012
      For starters, this is my third run, so I am new at this.
      I use a 15 gallon Keg with a 4500 and a 3500 watt (220 volts), element running on 110 volts. I have a 2 inch copper column, about 4 foot long, filled ¾ with flat glass marbles. I have a 3 inch Jackson Crossflow Condenser on top. This is the first time that I insulated the keg and column. I re-circulate water using an ice chest and add ice when the temp gets above that of bath water.
      Today I ran about 7.25 gallons of Hybrid MUM. It took 1.5 hours to reach 78C. After I drew off 100ML, things went crazy. I drew 12 ounces every 7 minutes, at times it was running in streams. I wound up with 25, 8 ounce jars numbered 1 thorough 25. The first ones were about 140 proof, but the last one was only 30 proof. The entire run took 5 hours including warm up.

      Was it wrong to run both elements? The temp did climb to 90C by the end, but the output remained crystal clear. I discarded the last too when the smell changed and unplugged the elements.

      How long does a 6.5 gallon run normally take?

      Looking for thoughts and suggestions?

      DaMonkey
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2012
        At 05:13 PM 5/28/2012, you wrote: After I drew off 100ML, things went
        crazy. I drew 12 ounces every 7 minutes, at times it was running in
        streams. I wound up with 25, 8 ounce jars numbered 1 thorough 25. The
        first ones were about 140 proof, but the last one was only 30 proof.
        The entire run took 5 hours including warm up.
        I don't post here much because I am not terribly experienced and
        others are more technically oriented than me.
        However, you described a relatively simple reflux still operation
        with an aim of producing fairly pure alcohol ( neutral
        spirits). Speed is not your friend. I'm assuming you have some kind
        of valve on the takeoff at the condenser that allows you to control
        the flow. This way you can allow some of the product to fall back
        and get re-distilled. This is reflux.
        Running both burners seems overkill to me. I want to get my still up
        to temp., reflux for 1/2 and hour or so with no take off and then by
        adjusting heat input ( I use a variac on a 1500 watt 110 volt
        element), output flow and coolant flow, I can then take off the max
        at each temperature between 78-82C. When making neutral spirits I do
        not want anything above 82C. Just my $.02 worth.
        Now, making rum, whisky etc. etc. there are many other techniques to
        bring into the equation.

        Derek