Re: PID Controller

  • Al Wells
    Message 1 of 28 , May 16, 2012
      These guys ship to Canada, and their product choices and customer
      service are as good as it gets.

      http://www.instrumart.com/
    • grainbrewer
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 17, 2012
        I recently purchased a PID Controller. Not being at all familiar with electronics, I am having a very difficult time understanding the instructions. Is it possible for someone to read the instructions and translate them into lamens terms for me? Mostly I am unfamiliar with the wiring diagram and symbols.

        The PID is an Auberins SYL-2372 and I have a contacter to go with it model # CN-PBC302-120V.
      • laxt57@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 18, 2012
          Hi
          Sure, simple as piece of cake.
          The number 9 and 10 terminals provide power to the PID
          (only for the PID not the heating element)
          The 6 and 7 terminals control a relay for some sort of device
          The 4 and 5 terminals are input from a thermocouple

          So, I assume you are using this to control a heating element?
          To make it work, you will need contactor(relay) big enough to run
          your heating element.
          Also you will need a thermocouple  and a heating element of course
          The thermocouple is polarity sensitive, so you need to connect it
          the right way round, that is if you are asking form hot and you get cold
          swap 4 and 5

          ----------------
          |               |   4---------------- Thermocouple +
          |     PID     |   5---------------  Thermocouple -
          |               |   6---------------  Contactor------------------- coil RELAY--------- heater
          |               |   7---------------- Contactor------------------- coil RELAY--------- heater
          ----------------                                                        AC   AC
            9      10                                                            IN    IN
           AC    AC
            IN    IN

          Hope this helps
          Jeri

          I recently purchased a PID Controller. Not being at all familiar with electronics, I am having a very difficult time understanding the instructions. Is it possible for someone to read the instructions and translate them into lamens terms for me? Mostly I am unfamiliar with the wiring diagram and symbols.

          The PID is an Auberins SYL-2372 and I have a contacter to go with it model # CN-PBC302-120V.

        • virgil hoskins
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 18, 2012
            And thats why i have enjoyed this group for the last year ,,
            Brothers helping brothers,,
            virgil

            -----Original Message----- From: grainbrewer <gavin_flett@...> To: new_distillers <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sat, Nov 17, 2012 11:42 am Subject: [new_distillers] PID Controller

            I recently purchased a PID Controller. Not being at all familiar with electronics, I am having a very difficult time understanding the instructions. Is it possible for someone to read the instructions and translate them into lamens terms for me? Mostly I am unfamiliar with the wiring diagram and symbols. The PID is an Auberins SYL-2372 and I have a contacter to go with it model # CN-PBC302-120V.
          • Bob Glicksman
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 18, 2012
              I don't know this particular PID controller, but if it is going to use a PID algorithm (proportional-integral-differential control), then it needs to adjust the heater output, not just turn it on and off.  Some PIDs can rapidly switch an SSR in order to adjust the heat output.  They do this for turning on the relay for some number of AC half-cycles (about 16 ms each half cycle for 60 Hz AC), since the heater's response time is much slower and will average out the electric power being modulated in this way.  But this type of operation requires a fast electric power switching device (an SSR).  A contactor or other electromechanical relay is too slow to do this (and rapidly switching one on and off all of the time will wear it out in notime flat).

              The only thing that you can realistically do with an electromechanical relay switching power to an electric heater is implement a "deadzone" type of control -- like an ordinary thermostat.  I'm not sure that this PID controller can do this.  Most PID controllers are far more expensive than a simple thermostat and there would be no reason to support this mode of operation.

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 18, 2012
                Hi Bob
                Did you read the technical publication  for this controller?
                SYL-2372
                I did
                Jeri

                I don't know this particular PID controller, but if it is going to use a PID algorithm (proportional-integral-differential control), then it needs to adjust the heater output, not just turn it on and off.  Some PIDs can rapidly switch an SSR in order to adjust the heat output.  They do this for turning on the relay for some number of AC half-cycles (about 16 ms each half cycle for 60 Hz AC), since the heater's response time is much slower and will average out the electric power being modulated in this way.  But this type of operation requires a fast electric power switching device (an SSR).  A contactor or other electromechanical relay is too slow to do this (and rapidly switching one on and off all of the time will wear it out in notime flat).

                The only thing that you can realistically do with an electromechanical relay switching power to an electric heater is implement a "deadzone" type of control -- like an ordinary thermostat.  I'm not sure that this PID controller can do this.  Most PID controllers are far more expensive than a simple thermostat and there would be no reason to support this mode of operation.

                The number 9 and 10 terminals provide power to the PID
                (only for the PID not the heating element)
                The 6 and 7 terminals control a relay for some sort of device
                The 4 and 5 terminals are input from a thermocouple

                So, I assume you are using this to control a heating element?
                To make it work, you will need contactor(relay) big enough to run
                your heating element.
                Also you will need a thermocouple  and a heating element of course
                The thermocouple is polarity sensitive, so you need to connect it
                the right way round, that is if you are asking form hot and you get cold
                swap 4 and 5

                ----------------
                |               |   4---------------- Thermocouple +
                |     PID     |   5---------------  Thermocouple -
                |               |   6---------------  Contactor------------------- coil RELAY--------- heater
                |               |   7---------------- Contactor------------------- coil RELAY--------- heater
                ----------------                                                        AC   AC
                  9      10                                                            IN    IN
                 AC    AC
                  IN    IN

                Hope this helps
                Jeri

                I recently purchased a PID Controller. Not being at all familiar with electronics, I am having a very difficult time understanding the instructions. Is it possible for someone to read the instructions and translate them into lamens terms for me? Mostly I am unfamiliar with the wiring diagram and symbols.

                The PID is an Auberins SYL-2372 and I have a contacter to go with it model # CN-PBC302-120V.

              • GGB
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 19, 2012
                  I built one of these and its gives excellent manual control from 0W up to about 3kW. I haven't done my first distillation yet but I expect it would be just the ticket. http://www.graham-laming.com/bd/Immersion_Heater_controller.pdf Matt Stevens was very helpful with my questions.

                  Paul
                • Bob Glicksman
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 21, 2012
                    Hi Jeri,

                    As I said, no I do not have the technical manual.  I was just pointing out that proportional control of the heating element is not possible with an electromechnaical relay.  The heater is either on or off, and the relay cannot be cycled fast enough to make it pseudo-analog.  If a thermostate-like mode is supported by the PID controller, that is fine, as long as this type of operation is acceptable to Gavin.

                    Bob

                    I don't know this particular PID controller, but if it is going to use a PID algorithm (proportional-integral-differential control), then it needs to adjust the heater output, not just turn it on and off.  Some PIDs can rapidly switch an SSR in order to adjust the heat output.  They do this for turning on the relay for some number of AC half-cycles (about 16 ms each half cycle for 60 Hz AC), since the heater's response time is much slower and will average out the electric power being modulated in this way.  But this type of operation requires a fast electric power switching device (an SSR).  A contactor or other electromechanical relay is too slow to do this (and rapidly switching one on and off all of the time will wear it out in notime flat).

                    The only thing that you can realistically do with an electromechanical relay switching power to an electric heater is implement a "deadzone" type of control -- like an ordinary thermostat.  I'm not sure that this PID controller can do this.  Most PID controllers are far more expensive than a simple thermostat and there would be no reason to support this mode of operation.

                    The number 9 and 10 terminals provide power to the PID
                    (only for the PID not the heating element)
                    The 6 and 7 terminals control a relay for some sort of device
                    The 4 and 5 terminals are input from a thermocouple

                    So, I assume you are using this to control a heating element?
                    To make it work, you will need contactor(relay) big enough to run
                    your heating element.
                    Also you will need a thermocouple  and a heating element of course
                    The thermocouple is polarity sensitive, so you need to connect it
                    the right way round, that is if you are asking form hot and you get cold
                    swap 4 and 5

                    ----------------
                    |               |   4---------------- Thermocouple +
                    |     PID     |   5---------------  Thermocouple -
                    |               |   6---------------  Contactor------------------- coil RELAY--------- heater
                    |               |   7---------------- Contactor------------------- coil RELAY--------- heater
                    ----------------                                                        AC   AC
                      9      10                                                            IN    IN
                     AC    AC
                      IN    IN

                    Hope this helps
                    Jeri

                    I recently purchased a PID Controller. Not being at all familiar with electronics, I am having a very difficult time understanding the instructions. Is it possible for someone to read the instructions and translate them into lamens terms for me? Mostly I am unfamiliar with the wiring diagram and symbols.

                    The PID is an Auberins SYL-2372 and I have a contacter to go with it model # CN-PBC302-120V.

                  • Gavin Flett
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 21, 2012
                      Guys, I don't know the first thing about PID's. The terms used are mostly foreign to me, hence my trouble so far. If this is the wrong setup, then someone please tell me what I need to run a 2000W heating element for a RIMS.

                      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      From: bobg542492@...
                      Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:21:45 -0500

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 22, 2012
                        Gavin,

                        I searched out the manual and you should wire it as Jeri suggests.  If you use an external contactor to control power to your heater, the PID controller will cycle it slowly -- turn it on for some number of seconds, then off and repeat every 100 seconds or so.  The heat output from the 2KW heater will vary as this happens, but the PID controller will attempt to hold the temperature as closely as possible.

                        Bob

                        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        From: bobg542492@...
                        Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:21:45 -0500

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 22, 2012
                          Ok, so it sounds like a similar method of operation to my Johnston A-419 temperature controller which basically turned it on full blast for a bit, then turned it off. I saw temperature variances of up to 5 degrees. For instance I wanted to achieve a temperature of 64C, and it would end up all the way at 69C. Does the PID setup smooth out the heat fluctuations at all, a little bit or a lot?

                          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                          From: bobg542492@...
                          Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:17:21 -0500

                          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                          From: bobg542492@...
                          Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:21:45 -0500

                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 22, 2012
                            The PID setup is intended to smooth this out somewhat.  The data sheet specifies 1 deg F, but I don't know under what conditions they test this under.  You have to follow the auto-tune procedure in the manual in order for its "fuzzy logic" to learn the time constants of your specific system and figure out when to cycle the heater power on and off so that it doesn't overshoot or undershoot as much as a simple thermostat would.  There is also a thermostat "on/off" mode, but configuring the controller for this mode will probably result in the same amount of overshoot that you experienced previously.  So use the PID mode with auto-tune and let us know who well this controller did for you.

                            I personally much prefer controllers for SSRs, since SSRs can switch very fast and the PID controller can then use a one second cycle or less vs 100 second cycle for a contactor.  This has a much greater potential to keep a very even flow of heat and thus much tighter temperature control.  This PID controller does have an SSR output, but it is only for 3 amps - too little for your 2KW heater.  It is designed for use with an external contactor and you already have the contactor, so hook it up and see how well it works.

                            If you are trying to control heat to control proof in a still, you might be better off to try some sort of automatic reflux control vs trying to keep the heat input controlled very tightly.  The book:  http://www.amphora-society.com/Designing-and-Building-Automatic-Stills-2nd-Edition--by-Riku_p_3.html has a lot of good information about this.

                            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: bobg542492@...
                            Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:17:21 -0500

                            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: bobg542492@...
                            Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:21:45 -0500

                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 22, 2012
                              Cool, great info. I am actually using it for a barley mash process. So if I understand correctly, an SSR performs the same functions as a PID, but better? If this is the case, can I purchase one that will work with my heating element?

                              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                              From: bobg542492@...
                              Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:06:38 -0500

                              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                              From: bobg542492@...
                              Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:17:21 -0500

                              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                              From: bobg542492@...
                              Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:21:45 -0500

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 22, 2012
                                > Cool, great info. I am actually using it for a barley mash process. So if I understand correctly, an SSR performs the same functions as a PID, but better?

                                No, they're completely different things. The PID is a logic "brain" that attempts according to the parameters you program in to shoot for a particular temperature. It determines how long the element is "on" or "off" and makes adjustments according to results.

                                SSR stands for Solid State Relay. It's really just an electronic switch - it has no moving parts. It is the equivalent of the contactor but because the contactor has moving parts it is not capable of switching power off and on to the element frequently without destroying itself.

                                Your PID itself is able to switch loads of up to 3 amps, but this is well short of 2000 Watts. Remember that Watts = Voltage x Amps. Re-arrange this formula to get W/V = A, and depending on what your voltage is this will tell you how many Amps capability you need.

                                So you employ a contactor, or SSR, to do the heavy-duty switching because these are capable of handling many more amps.

                                There is one thing to remember with a SSR, and that is if they fail they switch, as far as I understand, to full on and will not turn off. The SSR has its own connection to voltage mains. So, as with all setups like this, you should always supervise operation.

                                Paul
                              • Gavin Flett
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 22, 2012
                                  Now that's what I have been searching for. a lamens description of what a PID and an SSR does. Thanks

                                  How do the beer brewers do this then, what kind of W heating element do they use? Is it multiple low wattage elements?

                                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: self.adhesive@...
                                  Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:48:08 +0000
                                  Subject: [new_distillers] Re: PID Controller

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 22, 2012
                                    No.  You would use an SSR in lieu of a contactor.  An SSR can switch the AC power on and off very fast.  A zero crossing SSR can cycle AC power every 1/2 cycle - every 16.67 ms for 60 Hz power.  So a PID controller can then turn AC on and off to the heater for some number (1 - 120) of half-cycles per second.  A 2 KW heater will not even "see" this fast switching of the AC -- it will just average out the power, giving the PID controller fine grined control over the heat level without any "ripples".

                                    If you use a contactor in lieu of an SSR, the contactor cannot switch very fast.  The minimum time that you can turn the AC power on of off is perhaps 1 second.  So what YOUR PID controller (which is made for use with a contactor) will do is take a 100 second interval and turn the power on to your heater for some integral number of seconds every 100 seconds -- e.g. turn it on for 25 seconds and then off for 75 seconds to give 1/4 power.  Of course, your 2KW heater WILL respond well within a 100 second period and the PID controller will see it heating up (when power is on) and cooling down (when power is off).  However, the heater wil cycle this way only a small part of its heat range.  After all, it takes much longer than 100 seconds to fully heat up and much longer than 100 seconds to fully cool down.  Furthermore, if this controller is doing its job as advertised, it won't turn the heater on for 25 seconds and then off for 25 seconds -- it may turn it on every 4th second for one second only.  This woudl greatly smotth out the heter heat generation profile, but it will cycle the contactor more often and shorten its lifetime.  So your PID controller has some sort of proprietary logic in its programming to provide a best compromise over these actions.

                                    Bottom line:  your PID controller will work with an eletromechanical contactor.  Your model is specifically designed to do this.  It will do a better job of holding the heat constant than a simple thermostatic controller would, but there will be some heat variation owing to the limitations of how fast it can cycle the heater because it is using an electromechanical device (contactor).  Since you have these parts, go ahead and try it.  It will likely work well enough for you purposes.  If it doesn't, please post this result and then I woudl recommend getting a suitable SSR than can handle your 2KW load (at least 10 amps at 220 VAC).  I'll have to look through the data sheet of your controller more carefully to see if the cycling time can be decreased to make best use of an external SSR.  Since it has an internal SSR (not powerful enough to drive your heater directly, though), it may be possible to reconfigure it this way.  If you were to use an external SSR with a PID controller that cycled ona 1 second basis, you woudl be able to hold your temperature extremely steady-- probably more steady than you can reasonably measure.

                                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: bobg542492@...
                                    Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:06:38 -0500

                                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: bobg542492@...
                                    Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:17:21 -0500

                                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: bobg542492@...
                                    Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:21:45 -0500

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 22, 2012
                                      I'm not an expert at beer brewing, but I doubt that the temperature has to be held absolutely steady e.g. to less than +/-0.1 deg C of the desired temperature.  I'm somewhat surprised that your previous, simple thermostatic controller wasn't acceptable.  I wouldn't think that the temperature wandering around within a few degrees of the desired temperature would make much of a difference to the biochemcial processes at work here, as long as the desired temperature was optimized for the enzymes, pH , etc.  However, if you want to minimize this "wandering around" and have the temperature come up to some point and stay there rock solid, then you want to use a PID controller, as you are doing.  There is no disputing this!  The only issue here is whether actually having the PID controller use an electromechanical contactor to cycle the AC power to your heater reduces the "wandering" down to an acceptable level.  If not, you need to have the PID controller operate a faster device in order to cycle the AC power faster -- and this device would be an SSR.

                                      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: self.adhesive@...
                                      Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:48:08 +0000

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 23, 2012

                                        Once again,great info, thanks so much for the explanation

                                        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: bobg542492@...
                                        Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 00:25:52 -0500

                                        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: self.adhesive@...
                                        Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:48:08 +0000

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 25, 2012
                                          Hi
                                          Well, er, ah,mumble*%#** I hate to butt in.
                                          But you could use a solid state contactor
                                          Switch on and off lots without issue
                                          Jeri

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                                            Gavin,
                                               I own a 12HL (a little less than 300 gallons) brewery and we use a 6000W RIMS tube for our mash tun temp changes. Two things we have solved that have made this possible.

                                            1.) We realized not only did we need to know the temp of the grain bed (mash temp), we also needed to know the temp of our RIMS tube output (rims temp).  We were recirculating our wort out of the RIMS back into the mash tun near the top (I think some breweries call this the "vorlauf"). This freshly heated wort would remain at the top of the mash, and only slowly work it's way down until it was replaced by enough hot wort to reach the thermometer. Often overshooting your the mash temp and denaturing the enzymes that were responsible for starch conversion; depending when this occurs, we could end up with significantly less sugar to ferment.  We solved this problem by averaging the mash temp and the rims temp. Most PIDs cannot do this, so for a while we used pencil and paper with a manual thermometer on the mash tun and PID (with SSR) on the RIMS tube. After a bit of mucking around we discovered this problem on our 100liter (about 20 gals) system too.

                                            2) we feel like everyone should take good care to have a gentle vorlauf, it will rebuild the grain bed to act as a filter for the husks and whatnot. Clear flowing wort ferments better and leaves less residue in your kettles and fermenters. Low splashing and avoiding wort from channeling through the grain bed will make things much better for in the boil and subsequently whirlpooling, chilling and fermenting.

                                            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: self.adhesive@...
                                            Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:48:08 +0000