Sweet Potato Mash

  • air_lock84
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2012
      Hey Guys,
      Im very new to distilling and i wanted to try making a sweet potato mash. As far as i have read, sweet potatoes have plenty of amylase enzymes and i shouldn't have to add any to my mash. Is this correct?
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2012
        Your information is correct but insufficient. The enzymes in sweet
        potatoes are active at elevated (from room temp, at least) temperatures.
        I do not have that temperature available right now, but it is in the
        range of a common kitchen oven. Look in artisandistiller.org for the
        temperature, cut the sweet potatoes into slices, and roast them at tghat
        temperature for a couple of hours. That should convert the starches to
        sugars.

        Zymurgy Bob on the road

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "air_lock84" <dboogie230@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2012
          So i gave it a shot. I put the potatoes in 150f water for 2 hours. Once i activated my yeast and added to my mash and water i set my airlock and put it aside. It was bubbling within the first hour. After about 8 hours it was bubbling so much it looked like it was boiling. But after about 18 hours it came to almost a complete stop. Im using Alcotec 48 turbo yeast. When i do a simple sugar mix i get a solid bubble for a few days. Any ideas?

          > Your information is correct but insufficient. The enzymes in sweet
          > potatoes are active at elevated (from room temp, at least) temperatures.
          > I do not have that temperature available right now, but it is in the
          > range of a common kitchen oven. Look in artisandistiller.org for the
          > temperature, cut the sweet potatoes into slices, and roast them at tghat
          > temperature for a couple of hours. That should convert the starches to
          > sugars.
          >
          > Zymurgy Bob on the road
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "air_lock84" <dboogie230@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey Guys,
          > > Im very new to distilling and i wanted to try making a sweet potato
          > mash. As far as i have read, sweet potatoes have plenty of amylase
          > enzymes and i shouldn't have to add any to my mash. Is this correct?

        • Tom Brohamer
          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2012

            What was the starting and finishing gravity?

            So i gave it a shot. I put the potatoes in 150f water for 2 hours. Once i activated my yeast and added to my mash and water i set my airlock and put it aside. It was bubbling within the first hour. After about 8 hours it was bubbling so much it looked like it was boiling. But after about 18 hours it came to almost a complete stop. Im using Alcotec 48 turbo yeast. When i do a simple sugar mix i get a solid bubble for a few days. Any ideas?

            > Your information is correct but insufficient. The enzymes in sweet
            > potatoes are active at elevated (from room temp, at least) temperatures.
            > I do not have that temperature available right now, but it is in the
            > range of a common kitchen oven. Look in artisandistiller.org for the
            > temperature, cut the sweet potatoes into slices, and roast them at tghat
            > temperature for a couple of hours. That should convert the starches to
            > sugars.
            >
            > Zymurgy Bob on the road
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "air_lock84" <dboogie230@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey Guys,
            > > Im very new to distilling and i wanted to try making a sweet potato
            > mash. As far as i have read, sweet potatoes have plenty of amylase
            > enzymes and i shouldn't have to add any to my mash. Is this correct?

          • robertjusting
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2012
              That's not enough for your mash, there's a lot more stuffs you need to include. If you're looking to make a moonshine, this recipe might be able to help you:  http://www.whiskeystill.net/pages/moonshine-recipe