Coconut oil residue in my fermenter

  • dogsled1984
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2012
      I picked up a couple food grade 55 gallon closed top drums. They had coconut oil in them. I cleaned them as good as I could with a pressure washer but there is still an oil residue. I think I am going to try fermenting in them anyway. I plan to do whiskey and rum in them and distill in a pot still.

      Any idea what I can expect? Am I wasting my time? Will a coconut taste carry over into my booze? Any ideas how I could clean them better?
    • Michael Arduengo
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2012
        I recently picked up some smaller food grade barrels, 15 gal., that had a medicinal/chemical smell.  Placing them on the back patio, I then added a mixture of 1/4 cup dish washing liquid, 1/4 bleach and then filled with water.  These barrels sat on the patio, covered, for a couple of days and then I gave them a good scrub with a brush more dish soap and hot water.  For the most part the smell is gone.  Maybe another scrub or just some fermenting will remove the remaining smell.  I have written all this to say that scrubbing with dish soap and hot water should remove the oily residue and some of the smell.  I used the bleach more as a sanitizer.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2012

          To be safe make rum run as it there any transfer it would only be a good thing as those two flavors match so very well

        • Das Schaf
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2012
            I have a couple of similar drums, but mine had been filled with garlic mayonnaise. After pressure washing I scrubbed them with a hot saturated sodium bicarbonate solution and left a couple of pints of the solution to sit in the tubs for a week.

            I converted one into a mash tun and the other into a boiler for all-grain brewing. There was still a slight garlic smell after a couple of weeks but I mashed and boiled in them anyway - there was no discernible taste in my brews, even the first time. The smell was completely gone after a few more weeks sitting in the coalhouse with the tops off. I think you just have to be patient if you're at all worried. Personally for a distillation mash I wouldn't hesitate to use them if the smell was only slight.

            Cheers,
            Chris

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dogsled1984" <dogsled1984@...> wrote:

            > I picked up a couple food grade 55 gallon closed top drums. They had coconut oil in them. I cleaned them as good as I could with a pressure washer but there is still an oil residue. I think I am going to try fermenting in them anyway. I plan to do whiskey and rum in them and distill in a pot still.
            >
            > Any idea what I can expect? Am I wasting my time? Will a coconut taste carry over into my booze? Any ideas how I could clean them better?

          • kf6sza2000
            Message 5 of 5 , May 9, 2012
              Be really careful about this or make sure you are willing to dump the first batch that comes out of the barrels. We used some food-grade barrels as fermenters for wine once; the barrels had previously stored greek peppers. After washing them out thoroughly with soap and water and then letting them soak with water and baking soda for a few days, we thought we were safe. No smells noticed even during subsequent rackings until the wine was bottled about 8 months later. About 120 gallons of "Pepper Barrel Chardonnay" down the drain. Actually, some of it was good to marinate chicken!