Vodka

  • gavinflett
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2012
      I want to get some opinions here. When making vodka cuts, does everyone take all of what comes out between 78C and 82C? Or do people make cuts by taste within this temperature realm?
    • Ed Barcik
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2012

        I stop at 79.5, my range is 78.3 to 79.5 and get most of everything available, whatever is left, usually 500-1000 ml I pull off for later distillation.

        I usually get between 8-10 quarts from a run of 15 gallons.

      • Gavin Flett
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2012
          I found that my run was very estery. What I thought I could put in ended up having to go to feints as it had too much of a snap to it, not smooth at all. Basically it was extra 20% of the ethanol that I had to add to the existing tails. Which was already about 15% of the run.

          I cut it down and compared it to some of the higher end brands like Belvedere. It was quite sweet in comparison. So I am going to filter the hell out of it and see what it tastes like after that.

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: edbar44@...
          Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 09:50:46 -0400
          Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Vodka