Re: [new_distillers] Re: Higher Alcohols

  • tonyjones60@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2012
      I don't know what type of still you are running but I would ALWAYS set aside the foreshots (1st 50ml or so with a five gallon wash, using a pot still). Much of the  methanol and acetone will be contained in the first distillate to come out. Use that for lighter fluid. Then, collect "heads" in another container. I use a vapor management still. I start collecting that which I will drink when it stops smelling like my wife's nail polish remover. Using a vapor management still, I don't have much in the way of heads because of the manner in which the still operates. After foreshots, I usually collect another 200ml and set aside for my next run. With a pot still, you will probably need to collect more. There will always be trace amounts of nasties, even in the "hearts" of the run. The two things that I watch for are the temperature at the top of the column. I don't drink anything that comes out before 172 degrees. The other thing is to monitor the smell. I believe that I have finally come around to your question. When the temperature starts to rise out of the 170's, and into the 180's, start collecting spirits in smaller jars and continue until the distillate starts smelling like your great-uncle's sweaty feet. This will be the propanol and other fusils. You will know when it is time to shut the thing down, by the odor. This distillate is referred to as the "tails." You can keep this separate from the main product and run this part with the heads in the next batch.

      I hope that this helps.

      Regards

      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2012
        Ok, so even if the thermometer states that the temp is let's say 84C, if the distillate that comes out is 50-60%, this would still be considered hearts? Doesn't the propanol taste horrible, I don't know if it does, I'm just guessing it would.

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: spdjnky_42@...
        Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:01:06 -0700
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Higher Alcohols

        Anything after hearts is tails. You can collect on a reflux run to about 40%. these will have bad odor and taste. You can recycle these into the next wash or toss them in the trash.