i'm looking for suggestions

  • tim.2ndamendment
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 12:46 PM
      I have recently decided that I am going to follow in my grandfather's footsteps and start distilling at home, the only problem is that he passed away last year and he never told me how to make what I consider the best Irish whiskey I've ever tasted, or how to build a still for that matter. The research i've done seems to make it look very complicated and expensive to get started. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can begin to try and duplicate that old family recipe?
    • Shot Man
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2012
        Good morning Tim.
        The first thing I would do is talk with family members and his closest friends. Someone will know what he was doing and how he was doing it. Someone has all his equipment and I'd try real hard to find it. Being an older guy he may not have documented what he was doing but a family member or close friend will. My closest friends have seen what I do and I document just about everthing I do.
        Have a good one,
        shotman
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2012
          Hi Tim
          I had the same problem, I had watched my grandfather make "shine" as a child.
          I guess I didn't pay attention, so there where a few blanks spots in the process.
          My brothers and sister helped with lots of lost memories, a uncle was godsend.
          For the rest go here  http://homedistiller.org/forum/index.php
          Lots of info there, on traditional methods and modern stuff too
          You may have to dig a little
          Good Luck
          Jeri

          I have recently decided that I am going to follow in my grandfather's footsteps and start distilling at home, the only problem is that he passed away last year and he never told me how to make what I consider the best Irish whiskey I've ever tasted, or how to build a still for that matter. The research i've done seems to make it look very complicated and expensive to get started. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can begin to try and duplicate that old family recipe?

        • robertjusting
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2012
            I know how it feels to start from scratch. There is a lot of information in the internet that will help you master the craft. You may find it difficult at first dealing with a lot of instructions but I'm sure it should pay off. Here are some sites that might be able to help you, good luck!