Re: double distill in a pot still?

  • geoff burrows
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 20, 2012

      Hi Michael O,

          You wrote,

           If you average 45% or so on the first run, why distil again?” and

           “Is there harm in just aging my 40-45% average first run?”

      Well 45 % abv is nice strength for a sipping alcohol of your choice.

           But in order to extract the maximum r vanilla flavours and colour  etc. from oak chips/shavings your optimal alcohol strength wants to be between 60 % abv and 65 % abv  you can do it with 45 % abv but it will take a hell of a lot longer to do so

           Plus on your final spirit run from all your previously collected stripping runs. (remember low and slow for this run)

           On this final run you should have all your alphabetical or numerically marked 100ml bottles (remembering to set aside the first 100ml bottle the nail polish remover stuff)

           When you take your bottles of marked distillate for mixing at with the middle 60 %  abv hearts you should have a good tasting drink which can then only be enhanced with the oak/shavings and this can then be diluted to 40 % abv or 45 % abv whatever your favourite sipping strength is.  HTH

      PS

      If I remember correctly a lot of your particular fruit flavour is still in what’s in the liquid left in your boiler and some of the guy’s use this to dilute their spirit.  If  I’m wrong someone will correct me

      Geoff