Limoncello

  • j
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2012
      Hi all,

      I have read most of the recipes on the forum for Limoncello and they all tend to use either a grain alcohol or neutral alcohol to soak the lemon zest in for the limoncello.  Has anybody made a lemon distillate (i.e. a lemon sugar wash) to soak the lemon zest in afterwards?  I am not sure if it would be too lemony & that is why most people use the grain alcohol or if it would add a nice smooth lemon flavor tones if double distilled in a pot still.  Any thoughts?

      thanks
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 16, 2012
        I have distilled a lemon distillate and it tastes a lot like Cointreau, at least mine did, and that's a noticeably different flavor from a simple maceration of lemon zest in neutral alcohol, which I'd describe as "fresher" or "sharper" in flavor. The difference should be due entirely to the fact that all of the flavor notes from the lemon zest are not volatile enough to contribute to the distillate's flavor; that non-volatile flavor does not "come through".

        Having said that, I really like both flavors, but because I make such small quantities of the maceration, it's almost too little to distill, although my teensy coffeepot still works fine with small charges.

        If I were you, I'd try it (and I may also), and if it's too lemony (which I doubt) just dilute it with a bit more neutral. Oh yes, as always, keep us posted about how it turns out. I'm betting you'll like it.

        To the author of this question: I would like to be able to use your question, and my answer to it, in my Zymurgy Bob blog, and I'm asking for your permission to do that. If you choose to give me that permission, email me here. Let me know if you want your name removed.
        (At the moment, that blog link is not active yet, so you can't see the blog)