double distill in a pot still?

  • harley
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 12, 2012
      hi guys, newbie here. just wondering if i can get some guidence on how to double distill with my pot still. do i simply add my first run product back through the cleaned out pot? do i add a certain % of distilled water to it? etc........ thanks for your help guys
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 15, 2012
        The distillate you get after the first run is called "low wines".  Usually takes a couple of first runs to get enough low wines for a spirit run.

        When you get ready to make a spirit run, dilute your low wines down below 45%.  Most will dilute down to 30 to 40%. Add to your boiler and run.

        Ths spirit run will need to be ran fairly slow.

        Hope this helps.

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 15, 2012

        • jsmeyer_2000@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 15, 2012
            I also should have asked this...
            ..if I double distill 150 ml of 40% AV. What should I expect to get out if it after discarding the foreshots?

            Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

            hi guys, newbie here. just wondering if i can get some guidence on how to double distill with my pot still. do i simply add my first run product back through the cleaned out pot? do i add a certain % of distilled water to it? etc........ thanks for your help guys

          • mav
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 16, 2012
              >When you get ready to make a spirit run, dilute your low wines down >below 45%. Most will dilute down to 30 to 40%. Add to your boiler
              >and run.

              When I do my rum spirit runs I dilute the low wines down to 23% - 27%, depending what I want the final ABV % to be. This applies to brown spirits mainly.

              Cheers
              Marc

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <ke5dlz@...> wrote:

              > The distillate you get after the first run is called "low wines". Usually takes a couple of first runs to get enough low wines for a spirit run.
              >
              > When you get ready to make a spirit run, dilute your low wines down below 45%. Most will dilute down to 30 to 40%. Add to your boiler and run.
              >
              > Ths spirit run will need to be ran fairly slow.
              >
              > Hope this helps.

            • Bill Rogers
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 16, 2012
                Why dillute the low wines before a spirit run?

                On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 6:24 AM, mav <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                >When you get ready to make a spirit run, dilute your low wines down >below 45%. Most will dilute down to 30 to 40%. Add to your boiler
                >and run.

                When I do my rum spirit runs I dilute the low wines down to 23% - 27%, depending what I want the final ABV % to be. This applies to brown spirits mainly.

                Cheers
                Marc

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <ke5dlz@...> wrote:

                > The distillate you get after the first run is called "low wines". Usually takes a couple of first runs to get enough low wines for a spirit run.
                >
                > When you get ready to make a spirit run, dilute your low wines down below 45%. Most will dilute down to 30 to 40%. Add to your boiler and run.
                >
                > Ths spirit run will need to be ran fairly slow.
                >
                > Hope this helps.

              • j
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 16, 2012
                  What is the purpose (besides aiming for a specific final ABV%) of diluting the low wines?  Does it smooth out the final product or is it specifically to adjust the final ABV?

                  thanks

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 16, 2012
                    The main reason is for safety.  It is unsafe practice to fill your boiler with higher than 45% low wines.

                    Steve Roberson

                    What is the purpose (besides aiming for a specific final ABV%) of diluting the low wines?  Does it smooth out the final product or is it specifically to adjust the final ABV?

                    thanks

                    On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 4:24 AM, mav <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                    >When you get ready to make a spirit run, dilute your low wines down >below 45%. Most will dilute down to 30 to 40%. Add to your boiler
                    >and run.

                    When I do my rum spirit runs I dilute the low wines down to 23% - 27%, depending what I want the final ABV % to be. This applies to brown spirits mainly.

                    Cheers
                    Marc

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <ke5dlz@...> wrote:

                    > The distillate you get after the first run is called "low wines". Usually takes a couple of first runs to get enough low wines for a spirit run.
                    >
                    > When you get ready to make a spirit run, dilute your low wines down below 45%. Most will dilute down to 30 to 40%. Add to your boiler and run.
                    >
                    > Ths spirit run will need to be ran fairly slow.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps.

                  • GGB
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 16, 2012
                      "Steve" wrote: "The main reason is for safety. It is unsafe practice to fill your boiler with higher than 45% low wines."

                      Can you please explain why it is safer?

                      Paul
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 17, 2012
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsmeyer_2000@..." <jsmeyer_2000@...> wrote:

                        > I also should have asked this...
                        > ..if I double distill 150 ml of 40% AV. What should I expect to get out if
                        > it after discarding the foreshots?

                        2/5ths of 5/8ths of FA
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 17, 2012
                          http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/index.htm

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Rogers <bill.rogers@...> wrote:

                          > Why dillute the low wines before a spirit run?

                        • modonovan71
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 17, 2012
                            Follow up question from a brand newbie and apologies if this is a silly question: If you average 45% or so on the first run, why distill again? Why concentrate to higher proofs just to dilute with water after aging? I am making apple brandy from good cider apples and want to retain that flavor; worried the extra "cooking" may alter the taste and not clear on purpose of reaching very high proof (while discarding flavor?) when it will just be diluted later with flavorless water. Is there harm in just aging my 40-45% average first run? Many thanks to the group for any thoughts or explanations!

                            Michael O

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <ke5dlz@...> wrote:

                            > The main reason is for safety. It is unsafe practice to fill your boiler with higher than 45% low wines.
                            >

                            > Steve Roberson

                          • geoff burrows
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 20, 2012

                              Hi Michael O,

                                  You wrote,

                                   If you average 45% or so on the first run, why distil again?” and

                                   “Is there harm in just aging my 40-45% average first run?”

                              Well 45 % abv is nice strength for a sipping alcohol of your choice.

                                   But in order to extract the maximum r vanilla flavours and colour  etc. from oak chips/shavings your optimal alcohol strength wants to be between 60 % abv and 65 % abv  you can do it with 45 % abv but it will take a hell of a lot longer to do so

                                   Plus on your final spirit run from all your previously collected stripping runs. (remember low and slow for this run)

                                   On this final run you should have all your alphabetical or numerically marked 100ml bottles (remembering to set aside the first 100ml bottle the nail polish remover stuff)

                                   When you take your bottles of marked distillate for mixing at with the middle 60 %  abv hearts you should have a good tasting drink which can then only be enhanced with the oak/shavings and this can then be diluted to 40 % abv or 45 % abv whatever your favourite sipping strength is.  HTH

                              PS

                              If I remember correctly a lot of your particular fruit flavour is still in what’s in the liquid left in your boiler and some of the guy’s use this to dilute their spirit.  If  I’m wrong someone will correct me

                              Geoff