Re: ATF

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2012
      Get a New Zealand e-mail address if over-anxious!
      wal

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "garywilliams0316" <garywilliams0316@...> wrote:

      > Rich, im very concerned about saying too much on the internet, is there a chance the atf could be looking at everything we talk about ? Ive also been told to go ahead and get the ethonal permit by some friends, im now realy concerned.

    • M L
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2012
        Go to the new distillers message board and search "alcohol license' there has been a lot of discussion on the subject.

        Get a New Zealand e-mail address if over-anxious!
        wal

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "garywilliams0316" <garywilliams0316@...> wrote:

        > Rich, im very concerned about saying too much on the internet, is there a chance the atf could be looking at everything we talk about ? Ive also been told to go ahead and get the ethonal permit by some friends, im now realy concerned.

      • Tom Cowdrey
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2012
          I saw where the ATF busted 3 or 4 still sites in Virginia a few weeks ago.  There were no addresses used, just GPS waypoints.  The operations were in the 400 gallon and 800 gallon pot range and all were inoperable at the time they were destroyed.  Chances are your local revenuers have bigger fish to fry than your 5 gallon still, however you should not be careless - don't brag about your distilling at the local bar or hardware store.  Be descrete with all of your activities and you will be fine.   If you want to go into business selling your products, a license is suggested.  Alli

          Go to the new distillers message board and search "alcohol license' there has been a lot of discussion on the subject.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 7, 2012
            I have a AFP (fuel license), and it took about 3 months to acquire. Cost nothing to get except some time filling out the forms. You will need a sketch to show the location of the distillation setup in relation to any living quarters or dwellings (can't be within 100' of any occupied bldg.), a document to prove you have legal authority over the property, and photo ID showing you are who you say you are.

            The thing about a license is that it allows you to make up to 10,000 gallons of alcohol per year but it isn't for drinking... and you know that going in. It's for fuel use. If you get a visit and have some in the frig or anywhere it can be implied you have it for drinking, you're toast. It's understood you knew better when you applied for the license. If you get a visit and don't have the license, they can take everything connected with the production of said liquor.. including your house, shop bldg, tools, anything that can be remotely connected with your production of the alcohol & you go to jail... Do what you think is right.

            The alcohol I store is in 5 gal gasoline jugs and the heads and tails I keep in qt jars because I sometimes use it for solvent and then if I have any left over the next run, it's tossed in to redistill. All of this is logged in a separate notebook. Dates, times, qtys, proofs, etc. available for inspection if the time comes.

            You need to keep records of how much you make, where it's used, and as long as it's on the property it doesn't need to be cut with chemicals to render it non-drinkable. Take it off the property, and it does.
            That's the simple version.