Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Fw: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Oxygen?

Expand Messages
  • M L
    ... From: M L Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Oxygen? To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com Date: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 7:59 PM Hey,
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2012
    • 0 Attachment

      --- On Thu, 3/29/12, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

      From: M L <kekedog13@...>
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Oxygen?
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 7:59 PM

      Hey, As a homebrewer, for many years I used a 3" length of the clear vinyl tubing that just fit over the threaded outlet on my jewelry torch. A few inches from the end I used a straight pin gripped with pliers and poked a bunch of pin holes all over it. Then doubled over the last inch to crimp it shut , tied it down with a rubber band and then tied it to my long spoon. I'd sink that to the bottom of my fermenter and turn on the oxygen. Let it bubble for 5 or 10 mins. stirring it every so often. Then after the suds died down pitch the yeast starter and seal it up. My lag period is usually a couple of hours.I recently got one of the stainless steel air stones cheap from  a friend that wasn't using it.It works just as well but I can more easily ensure it is clean by sucking bleach through it , then clean water ,and you can boil them. They cost around 15 bucks from a brew supply shop . But I would recommend the one with the larger pores to prevent it from clogging ( I've read that the finer ones tend to do that).And again it's all to give the yeasties the best environment possible for happy growth. ML
      --- On Thu, 3/29/12, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      From: tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...>
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Oxygen?
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 3:08 PM



      I do just exactly what you suggest, not to boost the wash ABV, but to give the yeast a very strong propagation period, during which the cells multiply aerobically. This can prevent some kinds of stuck ferments, and it give the yeast a chance to out-compete any wild bugs that may have found their way into my wash.

      I used to push one end of the vinyl tubing over the tip of my torch, and plug a common aquarium airstone into the other end. This worked passable well until I tried to use the same rig to oxygenate the oak compounds in oaked spirit. It turns out thay high-ABV ethanol dissolves common aquarium airstones, so I bought a (half-micron, maybe?) stainless airstone on the end of a ~2-foot tube. I just stick the torch tip into the stainless tube and give the joint a couple of wraps of the self-fusing silicone tape to seal it, and Bob's your uncle. Not elegant, but functional.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daryl_bee" <darylbender@...> wrote:
      > Anybody pump oxygen into a starting mash?
      > I'm thinking of doing this to boost my mash's ending alcohol % by giving the yeast a better start. I'm thinking that I could use my oxy-acetalene rig (set to oxygen only) with a bit of surgical tubing going from the tip down into my 50 liter fermenter. I have no idea how long I should bubble it for.
      > Alternately I could use my tiny air compressor however I'd be worried about trace oil with that approach.
      > Anyway I'd love to hear of any experiences with this.
      > FWIW I'll vouch for the JEM wash with a few tweaks. I mix everything the night before I pitch yeast so it cools down below 30C but I add a pinch of meta-bisulphite to get rid of cloromines in the water and I add 1/2 cup (to 50l) of distillers nutrients. I also use turbo 48 yeast. This typically gets me 13-14% in ~40 hours with 12kg sugar like clockwork. Has a wonderful caramelly smell to it while it's working and sounds like a freshly opened pop playing on the stereo.
      > Unfortunately I learned the hard way to be *VERY* careful adding/stiring in nutrients to an already started mash. My 2 fermenters are on the kitchen table and once, around midnight (wife nodded off on the couch watching TV) I, standing on a chair worried about what I thought was a stalled mash, threw in 1 cup and no sooner had I moved my 3ft wooden stir spoon I found it like staring into the back of the space shuttle engine on take-off. Within about 3 seconds it had subsided into a 4 sided waterfall - over the fermenter, down the sides, into & over the 3" deep plastic catch tub, across and cascading down all 4 sides of the table and all over the kitchen floor - it went on for a good minute). By this time my wife had awaken (not amused) and it was like we both had gravity boots on as we moved about the super sticky floor. No, won't be doing that again!

      I laughed so hart I may have hurt myself, but yes, I've had a couple of "exhuberant" fermentations, and at least one of them was red. Just picture that mess.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits

    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.