Fw: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Oxygen?

  • M L
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2012

      --- On Thu, 3/29/12, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

      From: M L <kekedog13@...>
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Oxygen?
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 7:59 PM

      Hey, As a homebrewer, for many years I used a 3" length of the clear vinyl tubing that just fit over the threaded outlet on my jewelry torch. A few inches from the end I used a straight pin gripped with pliers and poked a bunch of pin holes all over it. Then doubled over the last inch to crimp it shut , tied it down with a rubber band and then tied it to my long spoon. I'd sink that to the bottom of my fermenter and turn on the oxygen. Let it bubble for 5 or 10 mins. stirring it every so often. Then after the suds died down pitch the yeast starter and seal it up. My lag period is usually a couple of hours.I recently got one of the stainless steel air stones cheap from  a friend that wasn't using it.It works just as well but I can more easily ensure it is clean by sucking bleach through it , then clean water ,and you can boil them. They cost around 15 bucks from a brew supply shop . But I would recommend the one with the larger pores to prevent it from clogging ( I've read that the finer ones tend to do that).And again it's all to give the yeasties the best environment possible for happy growth. ML