Coil Winding

  • rhinodust
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 25, 2012
      Has anybody had luck with winding a coil from 3/8" ref tubing? (I know 1/4" would be the easy way but I already bought the 3/8" $$$)I am using Dixidrifters set up with the pillow block bearings and a 1" pipe. I have failed three times. It just keeps colapsing and gets worse when I use a torch. Am I doomed to use sand or salt? If so, how do you get the sand/salt into the coil without unwinding it from the package?
      Thanks,
      Rhinodust
    • Gavin Flett
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 25, 2012
        Negative on the sand compadre. I certainly don't understand your lingo by any means, but are you trying to do a cold finger condenser?

        If so I'll tell you what I did. I unwind about 16" from the coil, straightened it and ran it up the centre of the pipe ( I also had smaller pipes inserted inside the 3/4" to keep the tubing in the centre.

        At the point where the tube comes out the end on the pipe and will begin to coil upwards around the pipe, I used a thick handled screw driver to 'ease' the tube around it into a loop, which then went on to be the beginning of the bottom of the coil. I then wrapped the tubing around the pipe about 1" of tubing at a time. This step is repeated until the coil is all the way at the top. At this point you can remove the screw driver (or whatever you have that is about 1" in diameter that you used to make the loop), and replace it with a smaller diameter object. Pull on the top of the tubing running inside the centre, then repeat this process until the loop is just about to collapse. Once the coil is complete you can remove the pipe from inside and bingo bang, you have a cold finger.

        Hope this is what you were looking for.

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: leeeep1@...
        Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 03:08:59 +0000
        Subject: [new_distillers] Coil Winding

        Has anybody had luck with winding a coil from 3/8" ref tubing? (I know 1/4" would be the easy way but I already bought the 3/8" $$$)I am using Dixidrifters set up with the pillow block bearings and a 1" pipe. I have failed three times. It just keeps colapsing and gets worse when I use a torch. Am I doomed to use sand or salt? If so, how do you get the sand/salt into the coil without unwinding it from the package?
        Thanks,
        Rhinodust

      • Ed Barcik
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 26, 2012

          I had great luck with fine sand but needs to be packed pretty solid.

        • geoff burrows
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26, 2012
            Go to a plumbing store and get a 3/8" bending spring (very cheap to buy if it does your job it'll have paid for it's self) It slips over the top of the pipe.  Place the spring and pipe onto side of pipe 1and a half inch pipe, bend the pipe where the spring covers it, then move it along as you bend.  Don't get greedy do a little bit at a time, it's a bit slow but you'll get there eventually with a perfct coil.  But that's how I did it, with my 10mm copper pipe

          • Dave H
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 26, 2012
              I used 1/4" on mine & used salt as well & got it the 1st time with no problems. I have it posted on Artisan Distillers. here's the link http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5662 If it were me, I'd just got get a 10 foot roll of 1/4 & be done with it. I didnt straighten out the coil completely to get the salt in. Just streched it out into a loose coil, about 6' tall. You can see what I did in the pics...

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhinodust" <leeeep1@...> wrote:

              > Has anybody had luck with winding a coil from 3/8" ref tubing? (I know 1/4" would be the easy way but I already bought the 3/8" $$$)I am using Dixidrifters set up with the pillow block bearings and a 1" pipe. I have failed three times. It just keeps colapsing and gets worse when I use a torch. Am I doomed to use sand or salt? If so, how do you get the sand/salt into the coil without unwinding it from the package?
              > Thanks,
              > Rhinodust

            • tim smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 26, 2012
                best way is to fill the pipe with water seal both ends and wrap around your fixture of what ever size your using..you cant compress a liquid so the coil pipe will not kink..tried and true

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 27, 2012
                  BINGO!!!

                  Been advocating this simple solution for ages. Nobody is willing to believe it.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:

                  > best way is to fill the pipe with water seal both ends and wrap around your fixture of what ever size your using..you cant compress a liquid so the coil pipe will not kink..tried and true
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • White Bear
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 27, 2012
                    Please explain the actual procedure of sealing the ends.  Some of us don't have really great soldering skills.
                    White Bear

                    Been advocating this simple solution for ages. Nobody is willing to believe it.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:

                    > best way is to fill the pipe with water seal both ends and wrap around your fixture of what ever size your using..you cant compress a liquid so the coil pipe will not kink..tried and true
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • o1bigtenor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 27, 2012
                      On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                      Please explain the actual procedure of sealing the ends.  Some of us don't have really great soldering skills.
                      White Bear

                      just crimp it shut

                    • Jerry McCullough
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 27, 2012
                        Use a threaded female compression fitting and a threaded male pipe cap or vice versa. No need to solder.

                        From: Harry <gnikomson2000@...>
                        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 1:53 PM

                        BINGO!!! Been advocating this simple solution for ages. Nobody is willing to believe it. Slainte! regards Harry =========================================== --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote: > > best way is to fill the pipe with water seal both ends and wrap around your fixture of what ever size your using..you cant compress a liquid so the coil pipe will not kink..tried and true > > > > ________________________________ > From: Dave H <dave28622000@...> > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 12:16:11 PM > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Coil Winding > > >   > I used 1/4" on mine & used salt as well & got it the 1st time with no problems. I have it posted on Artisan Distillers. here's the link http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5662 If it were me, I'd just got get a 10 foot roll of 1/4 & be done with it. I didnt straighten out the coil completely to get the salt in. Just streched it out into a loose coil, about 6' tall. You can see what I did in the pics... > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhinodust" <leeeep1@> wrote: > > > > Has anybody had luck with winding a coil from 3/8" ref tubing? (I know 1/4" would be the easy way but I already bought the 3/8" $$$)I am using Dixidrifters set up with the pillow block bearings and a 1" pipe. I have failed three times. It just keeps colapsing and gets worse when I use a torch. Am I doomed to use sand or salt? If so, how do you get the sand/salt into the coil without unwinding it from the package? > > Thanks, > > Rhinodust > > >
                      • White Bear
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 27, 2012
                          Thanks for the explaination both on just crimp shut" and the male/female threaded couplings.
                          White Bear

                          From: Harry <gnikomson2000@...>
                          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 1:53 PM

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 27, 2012
                            you can try that with crimps...i just flatten the ends and solder them ,not hard to do...after the coil is made ,cut the ends and the water drains out

                            From: Harry <gnikomson2000@...>
                            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 1:53 PM

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
                              OK, I finally came out with a good coil last night! I tried the water method but found you have to get ALL the air pockets out of the entire tube. I submersed it in the wash tub and started a siphon. Then I capped it while it was still under water. Unfortunatley I forgot to use the compression insert that keeps the tube from colapsing. When I tried to bend it, there was a small leak and pushed the water out. Results= failure #4. I gave up on the water and went to the salt method. I uncoiled it as suggested and suspended it from the garage door opener. After 1 lb. of salt, it started to back up in the tube. I used my vibrating engraver to shake the salt down the tube. This process took over 5 hours to complete! I kept adding salt until it would take no more, then tunred the coil upside down and started from the other end. Total salt was 1 1/4 lbs for the 3/8- 45ft coil. I used up about 25ft to mkae the coil. Lessons learned: 1.If you use water make sure all the air pockets are out and remember the compression inserts. Just flattening with a hammer doesn't guarantee no leaks, solder the ends. 2. Try to calculate the amount of tube in advance so you don't have to fill what you aren't gonna use. 3.Use some type of vibration tool to make sure the salt goes all the way down the tube. 4.Be patient it's gonna take a while.

                              Now I need to get the reaming salt out of the tube. After shaking out as much as I can mechanically, I'll try to boil out what ever reamins. Next time, I'll try the water method again.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 13, 2012

                                Sand would have been easier.