RE: [new_distillers] Crushing barley

  • TODP
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
       Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the fractured barley..

      On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM, made_it_myself wrote:

         I have been given about 100lbs of Malting Barley, I am not ready to try and sprout it myself, so I have bought some enzymes to convert the starch, my question is what can I use to crack the grains so that the enzymes can get at it?
      I toyed with the idea of making something, but I really don't have the time at the moment.

    • made_it_myself
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:

        > Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
        > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the
        > fractured barley..

        Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting two or three at a time? ;-)
      • geoff burrows
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
          Hi made it myself,
          Frig it man, it's shit or bust time, if I were you,  I'd go for broke, put the full body flack jacket on and the full screen visor on with those noise cancellation ear defenders for that sharp noisy crack as they give up their Husk/ Cornel (or is that kernel)? and bugger the wee bits that shoot out and try to maim you for life.  Are you a man or a mouse?  Squeak up now :-)
          Geoff

        • TODP
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
            one at a time to be sure you get them all!

            On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM, made_it_myself wrote:

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:

            >   Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
            > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the
            > fractured barley..

            Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting two or three at a time? ;-)

          • pnmbalto
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
              Why not wrap it up in a cloth and do them all at once :))
              Mike.......newby

              > Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
              > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the
              > fractured barley..

              Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting two or three at a time? ;-)

            • o1bigtenor
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM, made_it_myself
                <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:
                >>

                >>   Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
                >> pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the
                >> fractured barley..
                >>
                > Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting two or three at a time? ;-)

                I have an attachment available for either my KitchenAId or my
                Electrolux Assistent for rolling grain - - perhaps you might look into
                those (less than $75 CDN is what I'm remembering!).

                It will be a lot of work to do it using any of the ways suggested
                here. I'm on a farm and a roller mill is actually a tool that I own
                and your 100# of barley would be a matter of a few minutes work - -
                its more work to clean up afterward!!!

                Darald
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                  Or do this... :)

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgSnok0iB4

                  Slainte!
                  regards harry

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:

                  > one at a time to be sure you get them all!
                  >
                  > On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM, made_it_myself wrote:
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  > <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('new_distillers@yahoogroups.com')>
                  > , TODP <danimae@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
                  > > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up
                  > > the fractured barley..
                  > Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting
                  > two or three at a time? ;-)

                • Big Jim
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                    I have one of these hooked up to a geared motor turning at 46 RPM. I grind
                    whole corn to make cracked corn for my chickens. It takes me 1½ hours to do
                    50#.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq3gXa9jL30&feature=related

                    When I make cornmeal and grits I use a small food processor. (Ultimate
                    Chopper) To finish grinding my cracked corn.
                    I use cracked corn for Uncle Jesse recipe.
                    Big "long time member, infrequent poster" Jim
                    >> one at a time to be sure you get them all!
                    >>
                    >> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM, made_it_myself wrote:
                    >>

                    >> --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    >> <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('new_distillers@yahoogroups.com')>
                    >> , TODP <danimae@> wrote:
                    >> >

                    >> > Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
                    >> > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up
                    >> > the fractured barley..
                    >> Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting
                    >> two or three at a time? ;-)

                  • Jerry McCullough
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 11, 2012
                      Before you condemn an idea, you might ought to test it.

                      If you control the speed properly, you will end up with very little flour. You will be able to run 3-5 pounds per batch.

                      I have a manual grain grinder that I use to crack corn. Bought it on amazon for $19.00. My mid grade blender does just as well without the manual labor and in about half the time. The 2 quart blender picther holds more than the container that came with the grinder.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 11, 2012
                        I saw one of those recently on the northern tool site for about $50 US + P&P
                        I thought it produced too fine a result, like a flour, or am I getting my terminology wrong?
                        I assumed cracked just meant a bit broken, not totally mashed up.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Big Jim" <bigjim@...> wrote:

                        > I have one of these hooked up to a geared motor turning at 46 RPM. I grind
                        > whole corn to make cracked corn for my chickens. It takes me 1½ hours to do
                        > 50#.
                        >
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq3gXa9jL30&feature=related
                        >
                        > When I make cornmeal and grits I use a small food processor. (Ultimate
                        > Chopper) To finish grinding my cracked corn.
                        > I use cracked corn for Uncle Jesse recipe.
                        > Big "long time member, infrequent poster" Jim

                      • Big Jim
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 11, 2012
                          They have an adjusting screw on the front. When it is screwed out and the
                          burrs are loose it cracks the grain.
                          Big Jim