Scotch Whisky Recipe

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2012
      Z Bob and/or Others:

      I'm working with a pot still. I have had pretty good results making whiskey from 68% flaked corn, 16% flaked rye, and 16% malted 2-row barley. I made some passable scotch whisky from 100% malted 2-row barley. Some of the all-grain recipes that I have reviewed indicate that a mash of 20% malted 2-row barley and 8o% crushed grain will have adequate enzyme action to convert the starch in the grain to sugar.

      If I use 20% malted 2-row barley with 80% crushed plain barley will I get a wash comparable to one made with all malted 2-row barley. I'm considering using regular barley, the type that can be purchased at a feed store, for the starch with a malted 2-row barley from a local brew shop for the enzymes. The cost would be drastically reduced by using the feed store barley. Is this feasable or is it a dumb idea. I sure don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

      Thanks in advance for any help offered.

      Cheers,

      Tom
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2012
        Tom,

        I'd love to help, but I have no experience converting unmalted barley with malted barley, so I'm no direct help. I have worked at converting unmalted cracked corn with malted barley, with so-so results. Now when I do unmalted grains, I use commercial enzymes to effect the conversion, and I'm much happier.

        I hope this helps a little bit.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

        > Z Bob and/or Others:
        >
        > I'm working with a pot still. I have had pretty good results making whiskey from 68% flaked corn, 16% flaked rye, and 16% malted 2-row barley. I made some passable scotch whisky from 100% malted 2-row barley. Some of the all-grain recipes that I have reviewed indicate that a mash of 20% malted 2-row barley and 8o% crushed grain will have adequate enzyme action to convert the starch in the grain to sugar.
        >
        > If I use 20% malted 2-row barley with 80% crushed plain barley will I get a wash comparable to one made with all malted 2-row barley. I'm considering using regular barley, the type that can be purchased at a feed store, for the starch with a malted 2-row barley from a local brew shop for the enzymes. The cost would be drastically reduced by using the feed store barley. Is this feasable or is it a dumb idea. I sure don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help offered.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Tom

      • Tom Hawk
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2012
          Z Bob,

          Of course it helps.  I my give it a try just  to see how it comes out.  I will post a note with the results if I do decide to go for it.

          Regards,