Re: Crushing barley

  • made_it_myself
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
      If only it were that simple, My nearest shop does not have that facility, although they do sell malted grain.
      I have a Gaggia burr coffee grinder but it seems a bit fine to me.
      Home grinding is not common here in the UK and so second hand is unlikely.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

      > See if there is a home brew supply shop near by . They most likely have a grain mill they will let you use and you could also get a small amount of malted grain to use for the enzymes they have. Or  shop around for a coffee mill, the kind that grind between two plates the that are adjustable . Flea markets or junk shops are a good place to look. ML

    • Jerry McCullough
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
        try a blender on slow spped

        If only it were that simple, My nearest shop does not have that facility, although they do sell malted grain.
        I have a Gaggia burr coffee grinder but it seems a bit fine to me.
        Home grinding is not common here in the UK and so second hand is unlikely.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

        > See if there is a home brew supply shop near by . They most likely have a grain mill they will let you use and you could also get a small amount of malted grain to use for the enzymes they have. Or  shop around for a coffee mill, the kind that grind between two plates the that are adjustable . Flea markets or junk shops are a good place to look. ML

      • TODP
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
           Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the fractured barley..

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
            I did think about that, but I have a 100 lbs not 100 grams and I didn't want to make it into flour at the bottom and leave the whole grains at the top.
            I just wondered what other people used, I read about using a rolling pin, but I just turned 51, and I wanted to do something else with my life...
            I just wish I lived in a more rural area where people did things for themselves like I do, and the shops sold things that helped you do that. Around here if you want flour you buy a paper bag full of it, or you don't get flour!

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...> wrote:

            > try a blender on slow speed
            >

            > ________________________________

          • M L
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
              There are also meat grinders that clamp to the edge of the table and are hand cranked that have various different interchangeable cutters. There are ones that are made for grinding vegetables that are probably suitable for grains.These can be found at hardware stores and Wal-Mart type department stores. ML

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:

                > Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
                > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the
                > fractured barley..

                Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting two or three at a time? ;-)
              • geoff burrows
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                  Hi made it myself,
                  Frig it man, it's shit or bust time, if I were you,  I'd go for broke, put the full body flack jacket on and the full screen visor on with those noise cancellation ear defenders for that sharp noisy crack as they give up their Husk/ Cornel (or is that kernel)? and bugger the wee bits that shoot out and try to maim you for life.  Are you a man or a mouse?  Squeak up now :-)
                  Geoff

                • TODP
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                    one at a time to be sure you get them all!

                    On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM, made_it_myself wrote:

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:

                    >   Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
                    > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the
                    > fractured barley..

                    Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting two or three at a time? ;-)

                  • pnmbalto
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                      Why not wrap it up in a cloth and do them all at once :))
                      Mike.......newby

                      > Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
                      > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the
                      > fractured barley..

                      Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting two or three at a time? ;-)

                    • o1bigtenor
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                        On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM, made_it_myself
                        <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >>   Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
                        >> pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up the
                        >> fractured barley..
                        >>
                        > Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting two or three at a time? ;-)

                        I have an attachment available for either my KitchenAId or my
                        Electrolux Assistent for rolling grain - - perhaps you might look into
                        those (less than $75 CDN is what I'm remembering!).

                        It will be a lot of work to do it using any of the ways suggested
                        here. I'm on a farm and a roller mill is actually a tool that I own
                        and your 100# of barley would be a matter of a few minutes work - -
                        its more work to clean up afterward!!!

                        Darald
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                          Or do this... :)

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgSnok0iB4

                          Slainte!
                          regards harry

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:

                          > one at a time to be sure you get them all!
                          >
                          > On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM, made_it_myself wrote:
                          >

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                          > <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('new_distillers@yahoogroups.com')>
                          > , TODP <danimae@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
                          > > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up
                          > > the fractured barley..
                          > Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting
                          > two or three at a time? ;-)

                        • Big Jim
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 10, 2012
                            I have one of these hooked up to a geared motor turning at 46 RPM. I grind
                            whole corn to make cracked corn for my chickens. It takes me 1½ hours to do
                            50#.

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq3gXa9jL30&feature=related

                            When I make cornmeal and grits I use a small food processor. (Ultimate
                            Chopper) To finish grinding my cracked corn.
                            I use cracked corn for Uncle Jesse recipe.
                            Big "long time member, infrequent poster" Jim
                            >> one at a time to be sure you get them all!
                            >>
                            >> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM, made_it_myself wrote:
                            >>

                            >> --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            >> <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('new_distillers@yahoogroups.com')>
                            >> , TODP <danimae@> wrote:
                            >> >

                            >> > Made_it_myself... if your into doing it yourself.. try a mortar and
                            >> > pestal.. or more commonly ... a good hammer on concrete and sweep up
                            >> > the fractured barley..
                            >> Do you think I should do one at a time or maybe speed it up but hitting
                            >> two or three at a time? ;-)

                          • Jerry McCullough
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 11, 2012
                              Before you condemn an idea, you might ought to test it.

                              If you control the speed properly, you will end up with very little flour. You will be able to run 3-5 pounds per batch.

                              I have a manual grain grinder that I use to crack corn. Bought it on amazon for $19.00. My mid grade blender does just as well without the manual labor and in about half the time. The 2 quart blender picther holds more than the container that came with the grinder.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 11, 2012
                                I saw one of those recently on the northern tool site for about $50 US + P&P
                                I thought it produced too fine a result, like a flour, or am I getting my terminology wrong?
                                I assumed cracked just meant a bit broken, not totally mashed up.

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Big Jim" <bigjim@...> wrote:

                                > I have one of these hooked up to a geared motor turning at 46 RPM. I grind
                                > whole corn to make cracked corn for my chickens. It takes me 1½ hours to do
                                > 50#.
                                >
                                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq3gXa9jL30&feature=related
                                >
                                > When I make cornmeal and grits I use a small food processor. (Ultimate
                                > Chopper) To finish grinding my cracked corn.
                                > I use cracked corn for Uncle Jesse recipe.
                                > Big "long time member, infrequent poster" Jim

                              • Big Jim
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 11, 2012
                                  They have an adjusting screw on the front. When it is screwed out and the
                                  burrs are loose it cracks the grain.
                                  Big Jim