Re: Sediment

  • bliss.nagpur
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2012
      Same happened to me and as suggested by Chris I too just siphoned off the clear liquid from top of carbon bed and throwing the rest along with whitish algae like substance on top of carbon.

      chand

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Das Schaf" <chris.tampin@...> wrote:

      > Why run good whisky through carbon? The carbon will strip flavour from your product.
      >
      > I have run vodka through carbon once or twice - the first time I didn't wash the carbon first and ended up with a slightly grey product which took weeks to settle into a thin black sediment on the bottom of the bottle. I managed to siphon out most of the clear liquid but the sediment was easily disturbed and I dumped the last couple of inches of the bottle into the feints jar (couldn't be bothered to wait for it to settle out again).
      >
      > Your white sediment could be minute carbon particles (but I would have thought these would appear grey/black), or a precipitate formed from a reaction with the carbon filter housing, or the result of a reaction with impurities already in the carbon.
      >
      > If the sediment settles out enough, try siphoning off as much as you can without disturbing it - I would give it a taste test but then I'm not a responsible adult :-) The careful people amongst us would either bin it or send it for analysis.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Chris
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brandymaker12" <brandymaker12@> wrote:
      > >
      > > We made some whiskey aged it in a mason jar for 6 months then we ran it through activated carbon and put it in a glass jar and capped it.
      > > Now about 2 weeks later we have what looks like white sediment on the bottom of the bottle.
      > > Does anyone know what it is and what causes it and how to get rid of it?
      > >
      > > Thanks for any input!!

    • Gavin Flett
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2012
        I received that white algae like stuff a couple of times as well. But I assumed it was minute particles of the paper towel I had as a plug to stop the carbon from spilling out, was I wrong?

        I filtered it again and they disappeared.....??

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: chandatnagpur@...
        Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 13:01:38 +0000
        Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Sediment