Sediment

  • brandymaker12
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5 5:18 PM
      We made some whiskey aged it in a mason jar for 6 months then we ran it through activated carbon and put it in a glass jar and capped it.
      Now about 2 weeks later we have what looks like white sediment on the bottom of the bottle.
      Does anyone know what it is and what causes it and how to get rid of it?

      Thanks for any input!!
    • edbar44
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6 5:13 AM
        likely from the carbon if it wasn't cleaned good enough.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brandymaker12" <brandymaker12@...> wrote:

        > We made some whiskey aged it in a mason jar for 6 months then we ran it through activated carbon and put it in a glass jar and capped it.
        > Now about 2 weeks later we have what looks like white sediment on the bottom of the bottle.
        > Does anyone know what it is and what causes it and how to get rid of it?
        >
        > Thanks for any input!!

      • Das Schaf
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6 4:00 PM
          Why run good whisky through carbon? The carbon will strip flavour from your product.

          I have run vodka through carbon once or twice - the first time I didn't wash the carbon first and ended up with a slightly grey product which took weeks to settle into a thin black sediment on the bottom of the bottle. I managed to siphon out most of the clear liquid but the sediment was easily disturbed and I dumped the last couple of inches of the bottle into the feints jar (couldn't be bothered to wait for it to settle out again).

          Your white sediment could be minute carbon particles (but I would have thought these would appear grey/black), or a precipitate formed from a reaction with the carbon filter housing, or the result of a reaction with impurities already in the carbon.

          If the sediment settles out enough, try siphoning off as much as you can without disturbing it - I would give it a taste test but then I'm not a responsible adult :-) The careful people amongst us would either bin it or send it for analysis.

          Cheers,
          Chris

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brandymaker12" <brandymaker12@...> wrote:

          > We made some whiskey aged it in a mason jar for 6 months then we ran it through activated carbon and put it in a glass jar and capped it.
          > Now about 2 weeks later we have what looks like white sediment on the bottom of the bottle.
          > Does anyone know what it is and what causes it and how to get rid of it?
          >
          > Thanks for any input!!

        • bliss.nagpur
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7 5:01 AM
            Same happened to me and as suggested by Chris I too just siphoned off the clear liquid from top of carbon bed and throwing the rest along with whitish algae like substance on top of carbon.

            chand

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Das Schaf" <chris.tampin@...> wrote:

            > Why run good whisky through carbon? The carbon will strip flavour from your product.
            >
            > I have run vodka through carbon once or twice - the first time I didn't wash the carbon first and ended up with a slightly grey product which took weeks to settle into a thin black sediment on the bottom of the bottle. I managed to siphon out most of the clear liquid but the sediment was easily disturbed and I dumped the last couple of inches of the bottle into the feints jar (couldn't be bothered to wait for it to settle out again).
            >
            > Your white sediment could be minute carbon particles (but I would have thought these would appear grey/black), or a precipitate formed from a reaction with the carbon filter housing, or the result of a reaction with impurities already in the carbon.
            >
            > If the sediment settles out enough, try siphoning off as much as you can without disturbing it - I would give it a taste test but then I'm not a responsible adult :-) The careful people amongst us would either bin it or send it for analysis.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Chris
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brandymaker12" <brandymaker12@> wrote:
            > >
            > > We made some whiskey aged it in a mason jar for 6 months then we ran it through activated carbon and put it in a glass jar and capped it.
            > > Now about 2 weeks later we have what looks like white sediment on the bottom of the bottle.
            > > Does anyone know what it is and what causes it and how to get rid of it?
            > >
            > > Thanks for any input!!

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7 5:26 AM
              A little trick that I have learned,

              Take a cone or basket shaped coffee filter put in 3-5 cotton balls (more if you have a larger funnel) push that into the mouth of a funnel, wet with distilled water (so it will not soak up your product).

              Pour your product through the funnel  into clean bottle.
              Should be crystal clean

              This will also work for carbon, if there are a lot of really fine particles  you may have to do it twice.
              Enjoy
              Dave

              SNIP

            • Gavin Flett
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7 5:41 PM
                I received that white algae like stuff a couple of times as well. But I assumed it was minute particles of the paper towel I had as a plug to stop the carbon from spilling out, was I wrong?

                I filtered it again and they disappeared.....??

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: chandatnagpur@...
                Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 13:01:38 +0000
                Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Sediment