Re: new

  • hopefull_romantic
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5 9:56 AM
      About to buy my first still and there are so many options out there. Looking
      hard at Brewhaus 15 gallon pro series II as I want the option of reflux.
      There's also an 11 gallon complete kit on e-bay. Any suggestions or pit
      falls.

      Brewhouse make a good product and 15 is a good size for 2 -66 gal mash with
      eBay it buyer beware and 11 gallon is an odd size as brew house 8 gal is
      meant for 5-6 gallon mash as you need 2-3 gallons of overhead for foam and
      bubbles
      So the ebay one is a bit over sized for 5-6 and too small for 10-12 gallon
      mash
      The only down side of the 15 is you need to brew 10-12 gallon for it as it a
      bit large for 5-6 gallons

      So I would recommend there 8 gallon brew house and at least a 49 retail 1300
      watt hot plate warring pro
      http://www.waringproducts.com/ret/catalog/product.php?product_id=52&cat_id=3

      as most hot plates are between 700 and 900 watts and those will not work
      even with the 8 gallon if you want the 15 still you need the brew house 100
      dollar 1500 watt as a min or go gas or propane which adds additional risks
      which I not recommend
      Magnus
    • geoff burrows
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5 11:50 PM
        If you build your own still, your curiosity will in the process of the build make you ask yourself why am I building this particular piece, why do I  have to make it like just like this in this shape and what is this piece used for?
        End result a better uynderstanding of distilling in general
        Geoff

      • billq1007@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24 9:16 PM
          I like my EEII - wish I had th 15 gallon - ask about modifications before you buy - center erring ring - longer condenser