new

  • cantuc7677
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2012
      About to buy my first still and there are so many options out there. Looking hard at Brewhaus 15 gallon pro series II as I want the option of reflux. Theres also an 11 gallon complete kit on e-bay. Any suggeation or pit falls.
    • hopefull_romantic
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2012
        About to buy my first still and there are so many options out there. Looking
        hard at Brewhaus 15 gallon pro series II as I want the option of reflux.
        There's also an 11 gallon complete kit on e-bay. Any suggestions or pit
        falls.

        Brewhouse make a good product and 15 is a good size for 2 -66 gal mash with
        eBay it buyer beware and 11 gallon is an odd size as brew house 8 gal is
        meant for 5-6 gallon mash as you need 2-3 gallons of overhead for foam and
        bubbles
        So the ebay one is a bit over sized for 5-6 and too small for 10-12 gallon
        mash
        The only down side of the 15 is you need to brew 10-12 gallon for it as it a
        bit large for 5-6 gallons

        So I would recommend there 8 gallon brew house and at least a 49 retail 1300
        watt hot plate warring pro
        http://www.waringproducts.com/ret/catalog/product.php?product_id=52&cat_id=3

        as most hot plates are between 700 and 900 watts and those will not work
        even with the 8 gallon if you want the 15 still you need the brew house 100
        dollar 1500 watt as a min or go gas or propane which adds additional risks
        which I not recommend
        Magnus
      • geoff burrows
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2012
          If you build your own still, your curiosity will in the process of the build make you ask yourself why am I building this particular piece, why do I  have to make it like just like this in this shape and what is this piece used for?
          End result a better uynderstanding of distilling in general
          Geoff

        • billq1007@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24, 2012
            I like my EEII - wish I had th 15 gallon - ask about modifications before you buy - center erring ring - longer condenser