Re: [new_distillers] liquid barley malt extract vs. dry malt extract

  • White Bear
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2012
      Lost Willy-
        Here in the states even the Health Foods industry doesn't have to list all the ingredients on the labels such as to the type of preservatives included in a particular liquid substance.  It could be the type of such an ingredient that is hindering the yeast from growing, just my thoughts.
      White Bear

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2012
        Lost Willie, 6 ozs. of DME isn't that much in a 64 0z. starter and wont have much activity for very long at all. It probably is fermenting but  with you shaking it every   6 hours it's not getting enough "alone" time to pressure up the vessel you are using . If you aerate  there's no need to shake it Also if you use really good sanitation you can make another solution of wort and feed it to the starter to keep it going longer and to increase its' size and activity . And if you are using an air lock , it should begin bubbling after the addition of this feed within a couple of hours if it's in a good dark place that's in the right temperature range. Also FYI, you can get wine yeast at a low price  and you may have better results with it. ML.