Re: Sugar Wash Issues

  • Max Norton
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2012
      Well here are a few ideas on what might have happen. Was the yeast old? Had it been stored in the fridge or somewhere it could have gotten too hot? I keep mine in the fridge but pull it out and let it slowly come up to room temperature several hours before pitching so as not to shock it with a sudden temperature change. I lightly sprinkle it on top and let it set for several minutes before I stir it in.
      The one thing I picked up on was you said you use city water. That would the main thing that I would think could have happened. Don't use city water. I have it here myself but do not trust it in me or in my wash. Ours smells and taste like swimming pool water sometimes. The crap they put in it to kill off all the bad stuff will also kill your yeast. I like to go catch cool fresh clear cold spring water from the head of a spring somewhere. Even then I bring it home and bring it to a boil first, add my sugar, then let cool to pitching temperature before pitching and making any PH modifications. If you can't get the water free like that. Just go buy it by the gallon at the grocery store. I do that a lot but still try to buy the one that says "spring" water and not several of the other various kinds. Hope this helps.

      Don't mess with the old dogs... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.