Re: Please decipher

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2012
      Search on the word "hydroseparation" (minus quotes). You'll find 15 or so posts (some from me). Read them all. You'll get the idea.

      ==========================

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gavinflett" <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

      > Hi, can anyone tell me what the below passage means in lamens terms? First off I want to say that when I do a batch of Whiskey, I make the cuts of my spirit run and then collect the tails down to about 3% ABV with all the oils and nasties. I add that and the heads to the next spirit run batch, is adding the oily tails wrong according to the below text?
      >
      > Taken from Whiskey: Technology, Production & Marketing p165
      >
      > With low wines and feints charges at less than 30 per cent ABV, it is still possible to attract distillation problems. Presentation of the floating surface layer of heavy oils or higher fatty acid esters as a charge to the still (by completely emptying the contents of the charger into the still) will result in an episode when the collection of potable spirit (as determined by the demist- ing test) is unachievable. The whole spirit distillation system will have been contaminated by these esters, and it can take several distillations before satis- factory spirit is again obtained.
      > To avoid such scenarios, when the low wines and feints appear to be approaching higher strengths (or have even reached this situation) the charge can be diluted with water, aiming for a combined strength of less than 30 per cent ABV and thus stimulating hydroseparation. The surface phase must not be allowed to enter the spirit still on charging.

    • Gavin Flett
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2012
        Ok I read the posts.

        So basically I am NOT to put back the oily crud into the next back, correct?

        I have been doing that, does this mean that my spirits are contaminated with garbage?

        Also, can I redistill and separate the oilies from the goods?

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: gnikomson2000@...
        Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:51:06 +0000
        Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Please decipher