Re: [new_distillers] First time Using a Thumper

  • White Bear
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12 2:46 AM
      Steelheader26-
        This a portion of a letter from my Uncle in West Virginia that he sent to me when I asked for his proceedure a few years back.  Please note he makes quite a few barrels of shine, but this at least will give you his way of shining with a pot still and thumper.

        "If you are using a thump barrel, be sure to fill it half way with cool clean water.  You will hear a definite thumping sound during the first part of the initial run.  When the thumping quits the shine will begin coming out of the collection tube.  Let this first surge fall on the ground this is called the foreshots and start collecting on the second serge.

        Keep running the still until you can’t taste any more alcohol. This is the first run of shine without the “foreshots” which contain the fusel alcohols.

        Drain the thump barrel and fill it with the first run.  Drain the still and fill it with new beer.

        On the second run, you will have put the first run in your thump barrel and run the second run through it.  You will have good whisky because the steam went through the thump barrel and what is called the “backings”.  Keep checking this run with your hydrometer catching it in your graduate container.  You can also catch this run in a clear jar and check the “bead” by thumping the jar with your other hand and watching the bubbles.  When it no longer holds a bead stop catching the output.  You should now have about two to three gallons of pure whisky.  The bead should be half under and half over the liquid.  If you used sugar the bead will be different, the bubble will be two-thirds under the surface and one-third over it.

        Check the alcohol content by trying to light the liquid in a shallow dish, which comes out at the end.  This is called the “tails”.  It does contain some alcohol but mostly it contains water.  If it lights, there is still alcohol in it so keep running it until it is difficult to keep lit.

        At this point, stop the run.  After catching the remainder of the run, use this as the thumper fill for the third run.

        From the second run, you should end up with two or three gallons of good whisky and around eight gallons of “backings”.

        Drain the still and fill it with fresh beer.  Run it the third time.  Difference is you will have more backings hence, less whisky, but you will have more backings for the fourth run.  You will get more whisky on this fourth run with fewer backings for the fifth run and so on.  Keep running this way until you are out of beer."

      Anyone with wisdom using a thumper please respond! I normally use just a simple pot still to make my whiskey and for the most part it does a great job. Now i would like to try making some rum and all the articles i read on the topic recommend using a thumper. My big problem is that there is really no information on how to use the thumper. Do I let the main pot boil at 212 d/f or must I still control heat at optimum temperature? Will the thumper take care of its self regarding the heat? please if anyone knows I would really appreciate the help! STEELHEADER26

    • steelheader26
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13 7:32 PM
        Thanx a bunch! This really is helpful information. I will try my best to put this in action. Every brew I find is another chance to learn, and I will have my thinking cap on. Thanx again and I'll let you know how this turns out!