Temps

  • Ed Barcik
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2012

      Any idea how low of an ambient temperature a distillation can be completed successfully? Of course, the column will be insulated. Concerned about low outdoor temps.

    • Bob Glicksman
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2012
        Distillation only requires vaporization of the beer.  Theoretically, you don't need to boil your beer; however it may take several lifetimes to evaporate enough of it to get your spirits out unless you boil it.  Boiling is just extremely rapid vaporization.  The ambient temperature only matters if there are significant heat losses from your still.  Even then, you will simply have to put more energy in so that you can still boil even if cold ambient temperatures.

        If you are using a reflux column or perhaps even a doubler, you need to make sure that the these items are very well insulated, as heat losses can interfere with their operation.  Heat losses can really screw up the equilibrium of a reflux column, not because of a constant heat loss (which can be compensated for with more heat in) but if the heat loss is variable (i.e. a cool, gusty wind).  This is the main reason to insulate a column well.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2012
          Ed,

          Although the US Pacific Northwest has a fairly temperate climate, I distill in ambient outdoors temperature, and have had temperature/distillation interference in 3 distinct aspects of the distillation process, and I suspect these 3 will be the usual culprits for most stillers as the ambient temperature drops.

          First, as Bob says, cold can mess with distillation rate by directly cooling the column of a reflux still, or even the riser of a potstill. Low temperature and drafts can make this erratic stilling more pronounced, even stopping a potstill in its tracks while running slowly. As Bob says, insulate!

          Second is common and potentially very dangerous freezing of cooling water supply. When cooling water freezes, condensation stops and your still house fills with explosive vapor. Unless you like loud, sudden noises, this is a bad thing. If that cooling water is left in coils or liebigs for long, the copper will be ruined by freezing expansion. Because water is always trying to freeze, this requires constant attention.

          Third: This is only a pain in the butt, but if you still with propane, understand the liquid propane boils in the tank to give you the gas to burn, and in boiling removes the heat of vaporization from the system, until the liquid propane cools to the point where your gas output slows way down. Of course, that can stop your stilling. In warmer weather, warm air can supply the heat to boil the propane, but whan it's cold out, you must supply that energy. Pouring boiling water on the tank works. Open flame does, too, but I've seen a high-mountain community burned to the ground by open-flame propane boiling (Snoqualmie Pass, a few years ago?), so I'll stick with the water.

          There are probably other things to fuss about when it turns frosty, but these are the 3 I've experienced regularly.