Dunder blunder?

  • ggenovezos
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2012
      Hi all,

      I had heard that using the dunder from your last run of rum was to be used for your new batch...

      So I took a gallon of dunder, and mixed it with 10 lbs of sugar, and added 4 more gallons of dunder and champagne yeast.

      A week later nothing happened.

      So I made a yeast bomb and added some bakers yeast and again nothing.

      Did I miss something? Any way to fix it?
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2012
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I had heard that using the dunder from your last run of rum was to be used for your new batch...
        >
        > So I took a gallon of dunder, and mixed it with 10 lbs of sugar, and added 4 more gallons of dunder and champagne yeast.
        >
        > A week later nothing happened.
        >
        > So I made a yeast bomb and added some bakers yeast and again nothing.
        >
        > Did I miss something? Any way to fix it?

        Dunder use: No more than 30% of the TOTAL LIQUID. The rest is clean fresh water.
        Reasons to use:
        Main use:Acidify (pH4-5) the wort (pron. 'wert') to kill bacteria.
        Secondary use:Re-cycle any residual sugars, alcohols and flavinoids

        Did you miss something? Yes, see above. Too much acidity. Yeast is dead.

        Any way to fix it? Not really. You 'could' try adding an equal amount of water, then re-pitching your yeast. Results not guaranteed. This will save your sugar 'if' it works.

        My recommendation:- Start again with the right amounts of water and dunder. The cost of a few pounds of sugar is a cheap lesson.