Electric Heating Element Gasket

  • elmbrook@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2012
      I'm in the process of assembling a new electric boiler and I've a question about the effects of the heating element gasket material. The electic elements that I'm using come with black gaskets to seal against leakage. I'm not sure what chemical these are made of but I know they are not Teflon. Are these gaskets going to br OK?

      I've always used propane heated boilers prior to this electric boiler so my knowledge Is more limited. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
      Regards,
    • geoff burrows
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2012
        Hi E,
             Buy yourself a dark coloured sheet of heat resistant silicon from the kitchen supply section in your local supermarket it's food grade safe and as said heat resistant.  It is also slip free which is good for me as I'm stroke disabled on my left side.  Iused to get tired chasing my food around the table as it moved in front of my fork.  Anyway the silicon sheet keeps my dinner plate in the one place as I attack it (I can only use my right hand)
              I had considered paper plates and a staple gun Her Who Must Be Obeyed Vetoed the idea because I was left with the same problem of chasing the last of the food around the plate and holes in her nice mahogany table.
        Anyway I digress  Place  your gasket on to it and you can carefully draw around it and cut it out, or you can very lightly dust it with ordinary white flour.  Gently pick it off with a pair of tweezers and carefully shake of the excess flour and you are left with an exact imprint of your gasket (this way it doesn't keep moving as you draw).  Fit this and you're hot to trot
             Alternatively you could use a good dollop Aquarium grade silicon sealant fit your element and let it set.
        Geoff