Boilover with little Easystill

  • Some Hoser
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2012
      Hi there,

      I've got a batch of Z-Bob's all grain single malt recipe from his
      book. It's been fermenting for about 3 weeks. Finished up good and
      dry, right around 1.000 on the hydrometer. I'm trying to distill this
      using my little Easystill. I've only done some neutral washes with it
      so far, but with decent results.

      Unfortunately I'm having a helluva time with boilovers. This wash
      pukes like mad! I started with the pot about 2/3 full and just as the
      drops were starting it puked on me. So I emptied it a bit to about
      half way, and the same thing. I remembered that I have some foam
      control agent (FermCapS) for my brews, so I put a couple drops in the
      pot with it about half full. So far it actually seems to be doing the
      job of controlling the foam.

      I'm only concerned about the FermCapS affecting my output. Has anyone
      used this when distilling? I'm curious if it'll change the taste at
      all. Does anyone have ideas for maybe de-gassing my wash prior to
      running it?

      Thanks!
      Some Hoser
    • fatbloke@gmx.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2012
        I've only used distillers conditioner with sugar turbo's so wouldn't know if it affects the flavours, but suspect not as it would be left in the still.

        De-gassing could be done with a paddle in a bucket, or you could also use vacuum degassing but that normally needs vessels that don't collapse under low vacuum so something like a glass carboy works.

        To help prevent the still over boiling I use both distillers conditioner which contains propylene glycol and boiling stones of some sort - a handful of raschig rings is what I use now but you can even use pieces of broken glass or ceramic. Anything which reduces or breaks up any bubbles as the form in the boiler section
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2012
          Hoser,

          I've never tried FermCap, but lots of people on the forum use it. If I've got a foaming problem (and yes, malt extract does foam) I'll drop a piece of butter in the wash, maybe a tablespoonful for every 2 or 3 gallons. Is it possible to turn that EasyStill way down when you approach boiling? That's a big part of my anti-foaming procedure.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Some Hoser <somehoser@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I've got a batch of Z-Bob's all grain single malt recipe from his
          > book. It's been fermenting for about 3 weeks. Finished up good and
          > dry, right around 1.000 on the hydrometer. I'm trying to distill this
          > using my little Easystill. I've only done some neutral washes with it
          > so far, but with decent results.
          >
          > Unfortunately I'm having a helluva time with boilovers. This wash
          > pukes like mad! I started with the pot about 2/3 full and just as the
          > drops were starting it puked on me. So I emptied it a bit to about
          > half way, and the same thing. I remembered that I have some foam
          > control agent (FermCapS) for my brews, so I put a couple drops in the
          > pot with it about half full. So far it actually seems to be doing the
          > job of controlling the foam.
          >
          > I'm only concerned about the FermCapS affecting my output. Has anyone
          > used this when distilling? I'm curious if it'll change the taste at
          > all. Does anyone have ideas for maybe de-gassing my wash prior to
          > running it?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Some Hoser

        • Some Hoser
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2012
            On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
            > I've never tried FermCap, but lots of people on the forum use it. If I've got a foaming problem (and yes, malt extract does foam) I'll drop a piece of butter in the wash, maybe a tablespoonful for every 2 or 3 gallons. Is it possible to turn that EasyStill way down when you approach boiling? That's a big part of my anti-foaming procedure.

            Hey Bob,

            Thanks for the followup. Unfortunately there's no fine tuning
            available on this still. It's just turn it on and go. The foam control
            has been doing the trick for the past couple of fill-ups (it's only
            about 4 liters). I'm glad to hear that others have been using it
            successfully. I like the idea of throwing a pat of butter in there
            too. I will give that a go sometime.

            --
            Some Hoser
          • White Bear
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2012
              I'm new to distilling but I assume that your "Easystill" is electric, am I correct?  If so and it only has an off-on switch with no graduation in between, could you put it on a dimmer switch as for house lights.  Now again-this is assuming that it is a 110vac unit.
              White Bear

              Singing Mouse
              Shamanic Learning Center
              http://smslc.org