Opinions on my new setup

  • chem_engr_shiner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2012
      I am tweAking my still and I'm looking for some opinions. I started with a 1" wide 18" tall column packed with copper mesh leading to a T at the top with a thermometer and an air cooled .5" x 18' condenser on a 7.5 gal pot. After a few runs that we're collected at about 85% at 200-250 ml/hr I decided that there wasn't... A- enough ambiently induced reflux in the column and B- enough heat dissipated through the worm. My modification that I'm doing now is to put a glass, lab grade, Liebig condenser operating as a partial condenser at the top of the packed column to fix my refluxing problem that goes into a similar (though a bit longer) liebig condenser running as a total condenser to obtain my product. By my "back of the envelope" calculations I can run at a total reflux as well as no reflux and each condenser can handle the load of either situation. My question is what critiques can you offer me so that I can learn what I may have done that was or wasn't so ideal. (I am aware a 1" diameter reflux column isn't so desirable but it was a free starting point)
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hi, Chem-E Shiner,

        It should work for you , although it's a bit small and you know that. I haven't looked up thermal conductivity of glass compared to copper, but are you ok with how many watts the condensers can "knock down" compared to how many watts in your gazintas? That would be my first question.

        You might find that a "dangling coldfinger", in copper, might be an economical and easy way to match that glass reflux liebig.

        As far as size goes, my little 1.5l stovetop demonstration still comes in very handy when I'm doing gin essences and other concentrated flavors. If you ever look at doing grain whiskeys, that'll tip you over into a larger still, for sure. :))

        Good luck and have fun.