Re: [new_distillers] Re: Whiskey Experts Needed

  • Gavin Flett
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 17, 2012
      That's a fantastic site you led me to at the bottom link. It answered my question, at least I think it did. Thanks for the great read Harry.

      Gavin
      On 2012-01-17, at 1:12 AM, Harry wrote:

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gavin Flett <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

      > Potato potato. Ok so I got my distilling terms incorrect, my question still stands...

      Which question? This one?..
      <quote>
      why do I always see pictures of whiskey and scotch distilleries with the tall column above the onion dome?
      </quote>

      I thought I answered that. That's the way scotch pot stills are built. Expansion chambers and passive reflux.

      Here's a great write-up from those who build them, Forsayths (with pics). The Scotch Pot Stills - Part 1
      http://www.whisky.de/archiv/experts/copper.htm

      <quote>
      Alcohol vapours and aromatic compounds rise in the neck of the pot still during distillation, condense again at the cool wall of the neck and flow back into the vessel. More and more lighter substances reach the top of the still with rising temperatures and finally flow through the lyne arm into the condenser. The taller and slimmer a pot still neck is, the better the substances divide by differences in temperature over the height and the purer the ethanol will be in the end. However, purer does not always mean better. Lagavulin produces an intense and heavy malt whisky, because the pot stills are very short in comparison to their widths. This kind of pot still is unable to divide the substances very well.
      </quote>

      ..And if you want to follow all things Scotch, I highly recomend this...
      http://www.maltmadness.com/malt-whisky/beginners-guide-to-scotch.html