Re: [new_distillers] Re: Apple Whiskey TURBO GOOD !

  • Len
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 14, 2012
      (A) To stabilize my wine I use sulfates.  I do this when I am making desert wine that I want to retain some of the sweetness that would otherwise be fermented into alcohol, leaving a dry product.

      (B) If I am making a dry wine I use my hygrometer to determine specific gravity and adjust to the desired weight for the alcohol I want.

      so the answers would be: A I do. &  B. I do.

      From: tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...>
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Apple Whiskey TURBO GOOD !
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 3:42 PM

      Len,

      Yeast death by ethanol poisoning isn't the only way.

      "Within the bounds of the ethanol-making discussion, the most important
      reason that yeast action is halted is when the yeast simply runs out of sugar
      to eat. Considering the hardship, the yeast takes this pretty well. When the
      yeast cells see there is no more food, they just quietly give up and
      flocculate.

      When yeast cells flocculate, they stop their metabolic processes, cluster
      together (for comfort, we assume) and fall out of the solution, ending up as
      a layer of gunk underneath your wash. You are left with an ethanol-rich
      wash which is easily siphoned off that layer of flocculated yeast. This is a
      happy ending.

      The next most important reason for stopping yeast action is a less-happy
      outcome, also important to the distiller. This occurs when yeast simply
      drowns in its own wastes. As a fermentation progresses, the little beasties
      pee more and more ethanol, and the concentration of ethanol in their
      environment increases, inhibiting the yeast cells' metabolism more and
      more, and in a very real sense, making them sick.

      If the ethanol produced by the yeast cells that ran out of food and
      flocculated was sweet and clean, and good to drink, the ethanol produced
      by tortured, poisoned, violently ill yeast cells is frequently less good to
      drink.
      "

      Making Fine Spirits
      , Amphora Society -Zymurgy Bob

      I get to spout more opinion answering the question about he MUM and JEM washes, which have a direct bearing on this subject.