Re: Rum From Blackstrap Molasses

  • missouri_bootlegger
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2012
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gordy Scott <gordo_340@...> wrote:

      > I just finished a run last night and it was my first time doing a rum on a
      > pot still. I found the flavor of the feed molasses that was used is quite
      > strong. I only used ½ gallon of molasses for a 5gallon wash along with 2lbs
      > brown sugar and 5lbs of cane sugar. Will this strong flavor go away or is
      > this headed for the reflux collection?

      If the flavor is too strong cut it with water to about 20%-30% and do another run in the pot still. Each run will cut the flavor

      I take the backset (whats left in the still after the first run)put it in a bucket vented to air I let it sit until there is all kinds of nasty growth on top (this is called dunder). rack from the middle of the bucket and add 1/2 gal or so the my second run
      adds great flavor