moldy infection?

  • lhill0349
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2012
      My third batch of rye developed a powdery mold floating on top during fermentation. I assume this is disaster. Is this cause for dumping the entire batch or can this be skimmed off before distilling?
    • Fredrick Lee
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2012
         A pic would help us know more about the situation, but it's probably an pellicle forming due to infection. It will make weird chalky big bubbles soon, this stuff is almost always just annoying. I'd wait till they are all popped, and the pellicle starts to settle out and fall to the bottom.  As long as it's not vinegary and just a little sour, I'd run it. You will have a higher yield, as those bacteria tend to ferment everything, sometimes bringing the gravity below 1.000. It could take four, six, ten, maybe fifteen months before this pellicle starts to fall, but if you don't need the fermenter ASAP, then let it ride. Most likely, it will be amazing in seven months.

        My primary concern would be discovering where in your process this infection occurred, because it's hard to control fermentation if you don't.   Most of the time it's in your wort chiller, but check everything.