clarifying final (sorgh)rum product

  • Chris Jude
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2011
      Hi all,

      I have some 60%abv rum sitting on oak chips, to which i added a couple tablespoons of sorghum syrup and some black pepper.  I'm gonna age most of it for awhile, but would like to bottle some for xmas gifts.  Right now it's a bit cloudy, probably from the syrup addition.  I'm wondering if there is a good way to get it to clarify before bottling.  Perhaps filter it once through some activated carbon?
      For now I'm trying to aerate it a la ZymBob's book, by swirling it aggresively in a 6 gallon glass carboy, and sitting open to the atmosphere.  I don't have a stainless aerating stone, so this was my best attempt at aerating.  Seem reasonable?

      Thanks!
    • gff_stwrt
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2011
        Hi Chris and hello folks,
        If it tastes nice I would not even think about carbon, many do not use it at all, but those who do, use it to REMOVE flavours, for example in vodka or neutral spirit.
        Maybe some cotton wool/balls in a funnel spout, not packed too tight (you may need to tease it a bit).
        And, are the bottles easily opened? The ones with screw tops? Preferably with sharply defined shoulders?
        After the cotton wool thing you could bottle it, put it in a cold place a couple of weeks, then very carefully decant a bottle into a clean jug, and stop pouring when you see any sediment; same as you do with a nice wine.
        Save the dregs to put into a separate bottle....

        Rinse that first bottle, pour the next into it.....
        You get the idea. Actually very quick and easy.
        I'm doing it right now with some liqueur that had a bit of sediment.

        One day I am going to make some rum.
        Regards,
        The Baker

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have some 60%abv rum sitting on oak chips, to which i added a couple
        > tablespoons of sorghum syrup and some black pepper. I'm gonna age most of
        > it for awhile, but would like to bottle some for xmas gifts. Right now
        > it's a bit cloudy, probably from the syrup addition. I'm wondering if
        > there is a good way to get it to clarify before bottling. Perhaps filter
        > it once through some activated carbon?
        > For now I'm trying to aerate it a la ZymBob's book, by swirling it
        > aggresively in a 6 gallon glass carboy, and sitting open to the atmosphere.
        > I don't have a stainless aerating stone, so this was my best attempt at
        > aerating. Seem reasonable?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2011
          Chris,

          First, let me second Geoff's comments about filtering after chilling and not using carbon. I've never added sorghum syrup, but honey makes a fairly persistent haze that settles slowly and appears to be very fine particles, which carbon's not good  about removing, from my limited experience. I think you might lose the flavor and keep the particles, a lose-lose.

          I'm not sure how much aeration simple swirling will get you; I used to be able to physically shake a 6-gallon carboy to a froth, and that aerated fairly well. My back won't let me do that any more.  At any rate, you need to get bubbles into the spirit. Even a simple copper tube will do that, if you have some air source without compressor oil or diaphragm-rubber stink in it.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chris and hello folks,
          > If it tastes nice I would not even think about carbon, many do not use it at all, but those who do, use it to REMOVE flavours, for example in vodka or neutral spirit.
          > Maybe some cotton wool/balls in a funnel spout, not packed too tight (you may need to tease it a bit).
          > And, are the bottles easily opened? The ones with screw tops? Preferably with sharply defined shoulders?
          > After the cotton wool thing you could bottle it, put it in a cold place a couple of weeks, then very carefully decant a bottle into a clean jug, and stop pouring when you see any sediment; same as you do with a nice wine.
          > Save the dregs to put into a separate bottle....
          >
          > Rinse that first bottle, pour the next into it.....
          > You get the idea. Actually very quick and easy.
          > I'm doing it right now with some liqueur that had a bit of sediment.
          >
          > One day I am going to make some rum.
          > Regards,
          > The Baker
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude vegbenz300@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I have some 60%abv rum sitting on oak chips, to which i added a couple
          > > tablespoons of sorghum syrup and some black pepper. I'm gonna age most of
          > > it for awhile, but would like to bottle some for xmas gifts. Right now
          > > it's a bit cloudy, probably from the syrup addition. I'm wondering if
          > > there is a good way to get it to clarify before bottling. Perhaps filter
          > > it once through some activated carbon?
          > > For now I'm trying to aerate it a la ZymBob's book, by swirling it
          > > aggresively in a 6 gallon glass carboy, and sitting open to the atmosphere.
          > > I don't have a stainless aerating stone, so this was my best attempt at
          > > aerating. Seem reasonable?
          > >
          > > Thanks!

        • Chris Jude
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 2011
            Thanks  Bob et al.  I have a 6 gal carboy that is about 2/3 full, and I can get a pretty good frothy shake on it.  I do intend to get a better aerator soon, as I do have an aquarium air pump, just not a good stainless or copper air pipe for it.  I'll try the cotton filtration.  You think getting it near freezing would be good before filtration?

            Also, what about adding peppercorns and cloves, is it not recommended for long term?  I was going to keep them in the mix for at least a couple weeks.