Blue tinge in second run

  • hughharnett
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2011
      Hi,

      Last week, I distilled 80l of pineapple juice, the pH was 3.6, I continued distilling until it was coming out at 10%, the run was slightly cloudy - but white. The % was 53 for the run, I watered it down to 30% and re-distilled. When I distilled it a second time I got it to 88% and it was crystal clear. When I diluted it to 50% I got a very slight but perceptible blue tinge.

      My column (PDA 1 with extension) was cleaned (rinsed with water) between distillations.

      Any ideas what caused this? Should I have adjusted the pH down of my 1st run? I didn't measure the pH of the 1st run.

      Could it have been a case I simply didn't rinse the column well enough? (the top copper scrubs had no residue although the bottom ones were discoloured).

      Will laying the final spirit in activated carbon fix the problem?

      Thanks!

      Hugh
    • Jerry McCullough
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2011
        I cannot tell you what happened to your run, but I can tell you my similar circumstances and the answer I got.

        I did a 40 liter MUM wash. I did a stripping run, then diluted to 25% abv and did a spirit run. I distilled it using a reflux still both times. The product was crystal clear and at about 85% abv. I diluted to 50% abv using distilled water. The second the water hit the distillate it turned milky white. No blue though. There were no smells and the product tasted fine. I asked the forum what happened and I was told the milkiness was due to the carryover of fats and fusel oils.

        I filtered the product with activated charcoal and it returned to the crystal clear state.

        I have done other MUM washes using the same procedure and have never had the problem repeat itself. I have read that if you filter the product with activated charcoal you will most likely lose whatever flavors you were trying to get using a pineapple wash.

        Hope this helps.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2011
          Thanks Jerry,

          I re-distilled the stuff a third time and it came out perfectly!