Re: sorghum rum batches

  • Jim Haller
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011

      I lived in China for most of three years and was introduced to their “whiskey” made from sorghum.  Check out the website for more history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maotai ). Although they call it a wine, it is definitely a distilled spirit.  I have one bottle of Maotai at home that is 68% abv. This is what they traditionally use to toast each other during special dinners with friends and tend to do way too many toasts. It is very strong and has an aftertaste that will stay with you for several days.  I hope your venture produces a product free from these strong, lingering flavors.

    • Chris Jude
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011
        Yes, we grow the sorghum, harvest and crush the cane stalks to get the juice.  Most of it we cook down to Sorghum Syrup, and some of the juice we ferment.  This year we grew Dale and Sugar Drip, both older varieties.  The cane is typically from 12-16 feet tall, and about 1-2" in diameter.  We use an old, tractor pto belt powered three roller press to crush the juice, and a large stainless evaporator pan to cook the syrup.
        Here is a good source for seeds:

        On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:57 AM, hugh harnett <hugh.harnett@...> wrote:

        Hi Chris,

        I am really intrigued by the sorghum syrup, do you grow the sorghum yourself?

        The varieties we grow here in South Africa, are a lot shorter than the pictures I saw when I googled sorghum syrup. If you are growing it yourself, what variety of sorghum are you using?

        Thanks

        Hugh

      • hugh harnett
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2011
          Thanks Chris,

          Looking forward to making sorghum rum next year!